Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2006, 10:44 PM

Default Craziest/Dumbest/Most Outrageous thing you\'ve done in a car.

Ok,

I once chased down a kid who tee pee'd my house. He had a 95 Pontiac Grand Prix STP and I had an 86 Mustang GT. I followed him down to the church on the end of the road doing powerslides through the lot, and chased him down a gravel road. The dust was so bad that I had to follow close enough that I could see his tailights (which was about 20-30 feet) because I couldn't see anything else. I caught up to him 5 miles down the road and actually bumped his back bumper going about 45 mph. When I went to work the next day 3 of my 4 headlights were busted out from the gravel that was thrown up from his car.

You guys got some stories?
Old 11-23-2006, 04:28 AM

Default Re: Craziest/Dumbest/Most Outrageous thing you\'ve done in a car.

I think you've been watching too much Dukes Of Hazzard lately.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:36 AM

I wanted to show my friend how well my car handled....so i did and spun out and hit a curb.

I felt pretty stupid, lol.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:03 PM

I can't count the number of times in high school I put myself and my friends in danger just driving way too fast, trying to pass cars that I shouldn't be passing, just generally having too much testosterone.

I think I had 3 speeding tickets before I turned 17, and I didn't get my license till I was about 16 and 4 months.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:57 PM

I'm lucky I survived my early driving years, and lucky I didn't hurt anyone else. I loved to drive recklessly, and frequently drove drunk. When I started pondering possible replies to this post, I was amazed at how many stupid incidents I remembered.

I'll list a few here. They occurred 20 years ago or so, and regarding drunk driving, yes, I do recognize it's a heinous offense, I'm horrified and ashamed of my transgressions, and I long ago stopped driving with any alcohol in my system whatsoever. Seriously.

So, the first act of idiocy I remembered involved my first car, a 1966 Pontiac GTO, a very powerful machine. I lived in Montana, and one night I joined my bartender friend at his bar for some power drinking. After closing, we cleaned up and headed back toward our hometown, about a 12 mile drive along I-90, a 4-lane interstate highway. It was about 3 a.m. with no traffic and no moon--pitch black. We began racing, of course (he was in his parent's Chevy Beretta). At one point we were running around 100 mph side-by-side with our interior lights on, giving each other the finger, etc. We swept out onto a long bridge, and I looked over at him, smiled and turned off my lights. He quickly shook his head and turned his off, too. Absolute darkness, and I knew a big turn to the left waited just past the bridge. Fortunately I caved and pulled my lights on, and we safely roared through the turn.

Another time we're making the same post-bar drive home, only now it's winter with snow and ice on the ground. We're both in my dad's Ford F-250, and I'm at the wheel. When I pulled onto the I-90 on-ramp, the rear end slid out, and we almost clipped a reflector before I straightened it out. I don't remember why now, but I then steered back to the side of the road and began mowing down reflectors while accelerating onto the highway. When I got my fill, I began to pull back onto the road, but the rear end slid out again, and the last reflector caught the side of the front fender and scraped the paint off down the length of the truck.

Another winter story. It's maybe 0 degrees out. Me and two buddies are drinking one night at my dad's ranch, warming up before we head in to the bar in town. We climb into the F-250, and instead of taking the main road out to I-90, I decide to take the railroad right-of-way, which is a one-lane dirt track bulldozed alongside the railroad tracks. It will cross the main road again a few miles down the line, and since it's not plowed, it's covered with roughly 2 feet of untouched snow. Also, at one point where the tracks cross a ravine, the right-of-way road does not have a bridge, so it makes a deep, extremely steep plunge to the bottom of the ravine and an equally steep climb back up. I'd discovered this feature that summer, and figured it would scare the [censored] out of my friends when we dropped into the abyss with no warning.

So, we roared along through the snow and up to my secret ravine doing maybe 35 mph or so. Way too fast. Remember the scene at the end of Man From Snowy River, when he runs his horse down that super steep hill? It felt like that on the way down. Then we hit the bottom, blew a tire and shot back up the other side thanks to our momentum.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:04 PM

When I was in college, was cruising around on a gravel county road out in the country, going way too fast (maybe 60) in a VW beetle (original air-cooled rear engine), which became apparent when I came over the crest of a hill and saw a sharp 90 degree corner. I was going downhill on loose gravel, so I was still going at least 30 when I reached the corner, where I made the first intelligent decision of the night. Instead of trying to make the corner, which most likely would have resulted in rolling the car, I just kept going straight, into a pile of gravel and tall weeds, which brought the car to a fairly gentle stop. There was no damage to the car. It didn't even get stuck. I was able to back out of it and keep going, quite a bit slower.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:18 PM

oh, where to begin.

Had sex with my girlfriend while I was driving down the highway. It was about 11pm, so there wasn't too much traffic, but still some.

Got real drunk and with a car full of people, we all decided that it would be fun to go racing as fast as possible down a dark, curvy, dirt/gravel road through the woods, in the snow. That one ended with the car practically sideways, but with us miraculously unhurt and laughing.

On a long road trip, I was entering a two-lane highway going about 100-110 and there were two cars right next to each other going what seemed to be about 30 (probably was more like 65 or so). However, the guy on the right was hanging to the right of his lane and the guy on the left was hanging to the left of his lane. There was just enough room to split them. I got dual honks and headlight flashes for that one.

Not surprisingly, all these happened as a teenager. While I still like driving fast, I am generally a lot more safe.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:31 PM

I used to bomb around in an old postal jeep on logging roads near my house. I was drinking beer and fly along with my 2 buddys. One was sitting on a milkcrate in the left passenger side area, the other was facing backwards with his back against the back of my seat.

We were doing about 30-35 hammering down some icy/snowy roads, when I lost control, and the jeep started to slide towards a large tree. I was struggling to get it to turn away, but it wouldn't so, just before impact I rolled to the right and dove out of the vehicle which was still moving very quickly. Unfortuneatly my leg was still in the vehicle when it hit the tree, causing my leg to smash into a jagged piece of rusty metal in the door frame.

My buddys both went headon into the tree, and were relatively unscathed, but were pissed to see me give up by abandoning the jeep, letting them crash by themselves. My leg bled for hours because the cut was very deep and my blood was very thin from alcohol.

We aslo thought it would be fun to take the jeep onto the ice of a pond we found in the woods. The ice seemed safe when we bounced on it...but we thought it could be a little weaker near the edges, so we built up speed before the pond, and we were right- the ice broke behind us until we were about 15 feet away from the edge. We eventually had to find a new path to get off the pond, watching out for trees and un-passable bankings. But we were able to lighten our load and then build up speed racing aroudn teh pond, and then run over a bunch of small trees to get off, you could see the ice bending and rippling underneath the jeep.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:11 PM

Well.......

Having 14 tickets, including drag racing I find myself an expert in the art of vehicular dummary.

First car accident, Was going to tp this girls house, got one roll in a tree, big brother picked the corvette to chase me, I came around a bend with the music blasting, fish tailed and nailed 2 mailboxes and a big tree with my rear end of the car. Smashed the rear hatch glass of my 87 firebird, the whole passenger side was fuct, and the windshield was spider webbed. But I held the turn and got the car home.

My dukes of hazzard moment, Going to the old street racing spot i knew of a bump in the road at some rail road crossing. One side was a slight bump so I past it and come back at about 60mph, well the other side was 4x steeper then the side I saw, so I slammed on the brakes and hit the ramp at around 45 ish. I launched my 1988 325is bmw about 15-20 feet with 2-4 seconds of air time. Landed straight, lost my front underspoiler, and my oil pan took out some concrete (bmw well made) No tires popped thank god, and my steering straighten out. Drove home and thankd jeebus.

Last but not least- Back in my highschool days I would street race, I built up a pretty fast car 88 supra turbo. My buddy who had the fastest car in the area gave me the hole shot, this is back at some industrial and commercial area at 1 am on friday night. Well I'm flying, he's catching up, I don't let up and I keep him behind me for the 1/4 mile. Well when it's time to slow down nothing happens, i'm probably at 125 mph or so give or take My brakes have faded insanely at that speed, So I take my foot off the brake, downshift to 3rd, back on the brake as my head is sticking out the targa top trying to get brake pressure to the caliper. Finally get some feeling back, at the end of the street it's a 90 degree turn, I wasn't going to make it, so at the end is a soft curb and a pine tree at the top. I finally slow down enough and brush the tree and go unscaved.

Go home and buy 600 worth of cross drilled rotors and pads on ebay. The new bite on the highway was great.

And going through the road around a forest preserve on my motorcycle with 3 semi pro racers and keeping up with them on my 87 yamaha fz700. It was cool having the world be a blur around you and just reacting, trying to survive. This was a couple months ago.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:49 AM

These are some awesome stories.