Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Training Iraqi troops no longer driving force in U.S. policy

linky
[ QUOTE ]
WASHINGTON - Military planners have abandoned the idea that standing up Iraqi troops will enable American soldiers to start coming home soon and now believe that U.S. troops will have to defeat the insurgents and secure control of troubled provinces.

Training Iraqi troops, which had been the cornerstone of the Bush administration's Iraq policy since 2005, has dropped in priority, officials in Baghdad and Washington said

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But evidence has been building for months that training Iraqi troops is no longer the focus of U.S. policy. Pentagon officials said they know of no new training resources that have been included in U.S. plans to dispatch 28,000 additional troops to Iraq.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In a reflection of the need for more U.S. troops, the Pentagon decided earlier this month to increase the length of U.S. Army tours in Iraq from 12 to 15 months.

[/ QUOTE ]
Looks like we're in this for the long haul.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Training Iraqi troops no longer driving force in U.S. policy

This goes a long way, then, towards explaining the administration's opposition to a "timetable" for withdrawal. If we were training the Iraqis, we could plan for progress, with benchmark dates for achievement of specific goals. But with us giving up on the training, we can't posit when they'll be ready to take over, since they're not, apparently, going to be taking over at all.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:40 PM

When was training Iraqi troops ever a driving force in U.S. policy? A notion paid lip service to for PR purposes, perhaps, but nothing that was ever a legitimate goal.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When was training Iraqi troops ever a driving force in U.S. policy? A notion paid lip service to for PR purposes, perhaps, but nothing that was ever a legitimate goal.

[/ QUOTE ]
It never was. It is just one of the many excuses thrown out there in order for multinational oil companies to continue stealing Iraqi oil at the US taxpayers expense.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It never was. It is just one of the many excuses thrown out there in order for multinational oil companies to continue stealing Iraqi oil at the US taxpayers expense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you please explain with how they are stealing oil?
Old 04-27-2007, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you please explain with how they are stealing oil?

[/ QUOTE ]
Who are they paying? Oil continues to leave Iraq almost without interruption. Do you think the Iraq government which didn't exist at first, and is now in shambles, is monitoring how much is getting pumped?

You realize that the metering devices that regulate how much is loaded into supertankers is not operational? (Haliburton has the contract to fix these meters, but for some strange reason hasn't gotten around to doing it yet for the last two years).

So what ever account you can point to that the oil companies are putting money in to "pay" the Iraqis for the oil, realize they are completely on the "honor" system.

There is no accounting or controls to what is being shipped off, no monitoring of what is being pumped, no way there could be a problem. I have complete trust the oil companies are doing the honest thing.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:08 AM

Right, just another example of the current administration stating a reason for the Iraq war and then totally blowing that reason off for another one. nuclear weapons? check. Democracy in Iraq? check. Iraq hand-off once the troops are trained? check. Next?

Apparently republicans don't mind being lied to. I do though.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:17 AM

[quote
Looks like we're in this for the long haul.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your over here too ?? We Should hook up and play some poker. What base are you on ????

This is like someone who wear's an Oakland Raiders Jersey and says.... "We are going to kick butt this year"

We.......

Heh don't take that Jab personally I'm joshing with you. I meant it more for the Raiders fans... I hate Oakland.

I 110 % agree with everything you posted [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2007, 01:42 AM

Heh, point noted. Besides taxes I'm not making any real sacrifices. Then again I would be eligible for a draft so I guess I might be in the near future....

Are you one of the ones that has to stay down their 15 months rather then 12 now? What was the reaction from your peers after hearing that.

And definitely get home safe.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Heh, point noted. Besides taxes I'm not making any real sacrifices. Then again I would be eligible for a draft so I guess I might be in the near future....

Are you one of the ones that has to stay down their 15 months rather then 12 now? What was the reaction from your peers after hearing that.

And definitely get home safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah man I'm what the army calls a fobbit. I'm a army civilian who never leaves the Base. With the exeption of getting mortar rounds thrown at us every day it's not that bad.

Just the occasional scorpion or snake in your room kinda stuff [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The soldiers have it real bad. We went by tent city the other day and they had soldiers sleeping outside because with the troop surge there were not even tents for them to sleep in. I'm sure it was only for the night but that's pretty messed up considering KBR's getting gadzillions of dollars to take care of crap like that.

If we could only figure out where the money was going ???

FOB = Forward Operating BASE

FOBBIT= Loser like me who never leaves the FOB [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]