Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 11:44 AM

Default 33 in the BB...

I don't have the hand history because I'm at work, but I think I can cover it on here.

FTP 5/10 6 max.

I'm in the BB with 33, it is folded to small blind who is a TAG who plays well (29/20 pf stats). He raises in the SB, and I 3-bet. He caps and I call.

flop: (these cards may not be totally accurate) 2 7 9 rb

SB bets, I call.

turn: 4 (board 2 7 9 4 rainbow)

SB bets, I raise....

so I made the raise with the plan to take a free SD and fold to a 3-bet. Is this a good spot for the free SD play, or should I just be calling down? Should I bet the river on any non paint card? Am I spewing?

Also is the 3-bet best here pf? Or should I just call and raise any decent flop?

all thoughts and opinions welcome, if I played like a donk feel free to rip me a new one.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Re: 33 in the BB...

just call down and probably bet the river if checked to. you never fold a better hand and he's going to pay you off on this board with A high anyways

it's not even a ftop mistake for villain to fold ace high to your turn raise

edit: and he'll probably triple barrel stuff with no sd value.

preflop I just call.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:03 PM

I think raising the turn for free sd should be the default play here against this player. Lean more towards calling down the more aggressive he is. Call down a laggier player, raise a player with low wtsd.
I'm 29/20/2.5 and this is a good spot to raise the turn against me
Old 07-11-2007, 03:06 PM

bump for the afternoon crowd. so far two responses and they are pretty much saying the opposite thing.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think raising the turn for free sd should be the default play here against this player. Lean more towards calling down the more aggressive he is. Call down a laggier player, raise a player with low wtsd.
I'm 29/20/2.5 and this is a good spot to raise the turn against me

[/ QUOTE ]

what is your reasoning for the turn raise being good?

we can just barely protect our hand from overcards but imo villain puts in a bet on the river with all of his overcard hands. either Ax as a c/c to pick off a bluff or Kx/Qx as a bet to make us fold A high, this kind of player generally bluffs hands without showdown value.

edit: and yah as oink says we don't screw up our image by folding when he 3bets with his PPs which are a big part of his range
Old 07-11-2007, 03:40 PM

I guess the my thought behind the raise, is that by raising I ensure that I get 2 bets when I'm ahead, and I don't think he can 3-ball with a worse hand here so I know I'm not just getting value bet the whole way.

Also if he folds he is probably making a mistake getting 9-1 with possibly 6 outs, but if he calls it is unlikely that he'll lead at the river even if he hits his 6 outer, so I save a bet when I'm behind.

I guess I feel like this makes the same when I'm ahead, but avoids getting value bet by a hand that gets there on the river. And I sometimes get a fold from Hands like KQs or AJ when they should be calling with 6 outs.

that being said, I'm still not sure this is the right play. You guys are making good points. I feel like I read one of Stox's hand examples in WTHE where he raised a hand like this for a free showdown on the turn.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:45 PM

i think he's only getting 8-1 on the turn raise, correct me if I'm wrong.

fyi if I'm raising the turn i'm usually betting the river. and I know i'm in the minority here and for some reason it's come up a lot lately but I never 3bet this pf.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fyi if I'm raising the turn i'm usually betting the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without question. "Call cause Ace high pays off anyways" sounds like an ok reason not to check 5th st but not much of a reason to call 4th.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:46 PM

stox loves the fsdr for some reason. makes it easy to play the river I guess

villain isn't making a mistake by folding a 6 outer, he is getting around 7.5:1 if you consider the rake and has no implied odds
Old 07-11-2007, 03:47 PM

jba me neither. people are so aggressive in blind battles this hand usually has more value taking a passive line imo