Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 07:20 PM

Default NFL enlists Christian right to fight Barney Frank

Here is a new article published in the Financial Times.

Financial Times

The article outlines how the NFL is using the support of the Christian right in an effort to lobby lawmakers against Barney Frank's bill.

What do you think about the tone of the D'Amato quotes at the end of the article?

[ QUOTE ]
But he says the NFL’s influence in Washington is the “major issue” that could prevent the bill from gaining more support. “I don’t believe the NFL can be defeated on this.”

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-13-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: NFL enlists Christian right to fight Barney Frank

BOYCOTT THE NFL gogogogogo
Old 08-13-2007, 08:22 PM

So why would the NFL oppose Rep. Wexler's bill which is better for online poker players than Rep. Frank's bill?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:40 PM

Maybe we should all write to the NFL and some of their to express our displeasure. I'm not suggesting poker players boycott football and beer, but I think we could tell them we'll keep this in mind when deciding what to buy and what to watch.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 PM

I think Engineer is correct; mailing to the NFL is what needs to be done.

We need to let them know the hypocrisy of it all, Fantasy betting by drafting ones own 'team' is really not much different than betting on actual games, which many offices run pools on anyway.

And, we need to let them know they should support their fan base concerning Internet poker, they SHOULD make a distinction, as one has nothing to do with the other.

lets work on this plan Engineer and have something to put on the board by morning. I'll work up one letter, you and the others some and post them here with the NFL e-mail address.

obg
Old 08-14-2007, 06:48 AM

I would like a list of emails for NFL, NFL sponsers, and Rep Wexler. Is there an easy place to find all these?

I have prepared a letter for the NFL but I would also like to carbon copy it to sponsors and Rep Wexler as well. My thought being I want the NFL to see who else I sent the letter to and I want Wexler to realize his bill has supporters.
Below is the letter if anyone has comments or suggestions.

Jxxxxx Mxxxxxx
xxx xxxxxx xxx
Jackson, TN 38301 731-xxx-xxxx

Commissioner Roger Goodell
National Football League
280 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10017

Sir,

I have been an avid fan of the NFL for years. Unfortunately some of your recent actions have resulted in my decision to boycott all NFL games, merchandise and sponsors until I see a change in your position.

I can understand and respect your position that players, coaches, referees and other employees should not be allowed to bet on sports online or any other way. But in your effort to regulate your employees you are attempting to impose your restrictions on the entire US. I would not go to such extremes as boycotting if your attempts were only related to sports betting. But your efforts include skill games such as poker, chess, backgammon and many others.

In closing I find your position hypocritical when you encourage gambling on fantasy leagues but exclude all other forms of wagering, especially skill games. By the way, I was also a member of several sports fantasy leagues that I will not be participating in as long as you oppose sensible legislation such as Rep Wexler’s bill H.R. 2610, Skill Game Protection Act.

Jxxxxx Mxxxxxx
Old 08-28-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe we should all write to the NFL and some of their to express our displeasure. I'm not suggesting poker players boycott football and beer, but I think we could tell them we'll keep this in mind when deciding what to buy and what to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're not prepared to, in fact, boycott the NFL and everything related to it (NFL highlights shows, NFL coverage, NFL advertisers, etc.), then the NFL has no reason to take any of your complaints seriously.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're not prepared to, in fact, boycott the NFL and everything related to it (NFL highlights shows, NFL coverage, NFL advertisers, etc.), then the NFL has no reason to take any of your complaints seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think boycotts could be effective, but it would take the PPA. It would take the PPA having a sack. You need orgainzers and some way to get the word out. I personally think a lottery boycott, if we got friends and family on board, would be better. Second best, boycott Harrah's. Then the NFL and major sports leagues. But that takes too large a list of names, employees , and money to do by ourselves.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have proof of that? Why don't you think they'll care if we significantly reduce our patronage of the league and their products?

My concern with claiming a total boycott is that it won't be believable. However, if we state we're not buying jerseys or any of their cable/satellite packages, we'll be in the realm of the doable.

However, if you're going to totally boycott them, you should write and tell them so.

Goodall's email address is goodellr@nfl.com .
Old 08-28-2007, 05:09 PM

Engineer, you never cease to amaze me, the direct e-mail to the commish.....

OK, should we organize a e-mail campaign aimed at him?

obg