Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If your standard raise is 3BB its correct to stel ...than in limit
more 2 10.00%
less 18 90.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2007, 01:16 AM

Default I\"M down 20k all of a sudden LONG (with cliff notes)

I'm 20 and am going into my junior year of college,my parents are generally sneaky when it comes to financial transactions that involve me.

We are not incredibally rich, but for example we live in a house worth well over 1 million dollars. I go to a 30k a year school, I recieved an academic scholarship for around 14k a year. (my budget was keep it below 20k a year after scholarship, I did 30-14 for 16k)

They pay for most of my stuff... clothes (not all of them, but enough to manage with) food, gave me 3k for a car when I was 18...they don't give me spending money or anything like that, but DEFINATELY enough to live off of comftorably as a college student

I was under the assumption my Dad was paying for my college, which I was thankful for. I opened the mail today and it's some student loan bill, I question my Dad about it and he says don't worry I don't have to pay till six months after I graduate, he continues to say it will be around 20k.

CLiff notes:
Well off family provides for 99% of sons NECESSITES

Kid recieves 14k scholarship for 30k a year school and Dad agrees to pay for college if he goes there

2 years later kid finds student loan bills in the mail, Dad goes, o ya ur gonna owe around 20k when ur done with school...u signed some paper when u were 17 and not paying attention, u don't remember?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:16 AM

Default Re: I\"M down 20k all of a sudden LONG (with cliff notes)

Basically I'm pissed, I don't want to be 20k in debt, I don't plan on having a hi paying job till i'm about 25 or I find someone I want to marry/provide for (whichever comes first) this seriously disrupts my plans... what makes it worse is, I can't really complain... he's still paying for a HUUUUGEEEE portion of my education and just my life in general until I graduate... but it jus seems so sleazy, like I'm just some cost and he found a way to minimize it by being sneaky about maxing out my student loan potential (maybe he could have done more?) and sticking me with the bill

also, he goes you know it's no big deal, you get a job 50k a year... thousand dollars a week... it's consistent you'll pay it off in no time.... thanks Dad for asking me what I wanted to do after college, instead of just assuming I'd like to spend what's left of my lower twenties stuck in an office

arghhh I'm just mad... my life is great, and I owe it all to my dad, but for now I just feel like a pawn, and at the very least it's his fault for making me feel that way

standard wah wah wah i had to dig coal mines to pay off my student loans are expected, but posts from people who can actually relate to me would be appreciated
Old 08-01-2007, 01:18 AM

I posted this in student life also...anyone who wants to give a serious response post there... anyone who wants to just say whatever obviously post here

I am prepared to take a bashing, but oh well
Old 08-01-2007, 01:18 AM

Location: Phase 1: collect underpants Phase 2: ??? Phase 3: Profit

that sucks, but how do you sign a loan for 20,000 dollars and not notice what u just did?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:20 AM

i dunno my dad told me to sign some thing and i signed it without looking at it... my dad is very responsible financially and i trust him so I jus signed it without reading it i'm sure
Old 08-01-2007, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dunno my dad told me to sign some thing and i signed it without looking at it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably he also told you exactly what it was but you were not paying attention.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:28 AM

i think he's bluffing, 3bet shove.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my parents are generally sneaky when it comes to financial transactions that involve me.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my dad told me to sign some thing and i signed it without looking at it... my dad is very responsible financially and i trust him so I jus signed it without reading it i'm sure

[/ QUOTE ]
You are responsible for what's happened. Someone you regard as "generally sneaky when it comes to financial transactions that involve you" gave you something to sign and you didnt read it. You are free to adopt such a cavalier attitude but you are responsible for the consequences.

If it makes you feel better, it might be worth asking what would have happened if he'd held your hand, sat you down and explained it to you in depth. Presumably the 20k debt would have seemed reasonable and you would have done it anyway? If that's the case the injustice isnt that you got stuck with a debt, it's that you didnt realise it was going to happen (which is again the consequence of leaving your financial affairs to someone else).
Old 08-02-2007, 12:42 AM

Here's my conclusion:

You're a complete idiot.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically I'm pissed, I don't want to be 20k in debt, .... thanks Dad for asking me what I wanted to do after college, instead of just assuming I'd like to act like a responsible adult and live in the real world, which potentially involves bills & stuff

arghhh I'm just mad... my life is great, and I owe it all to my dad, but for now I just feel like a pawn, and at the very least it's his fault for making me feel that way

standard wah wah wah i had to dig coal mines to pay off my student loans are expected, but posts from people who can actually relate to me would be appreciated

[/ QUOTE ]