Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 10:02 AM

Default Does anyone have a job that they truly love? (besides poker)

I just got a 2nd job as a Math Tutor. I go to peoples houses (mostly rich people!) and teach their kids Algebra, Calc, Trig etc. I love doing this. I wish I did this straight out college. Its good $$ for something I love to do.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Does anyone have a job that they truly love? (besides poker)

With every job there are times that I dislike it (paper work and all the other garbage that goes along with it) but as a general I love what I do.

I am an IT Manager/Systems Engineer/Sytems Admin whatever title you want to call it today..
Old 10-19-2006, 10:19 AM

how'd you get into tutoring? I used to do it in college and it sounds like a sweet way to pick up some extra cash and help kids out.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how'd you get into tutoring? I used to do it in college and it sounds like a sweet way to pick up some extra cash and help kids out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went on craiglist. I get $28 ph under the table and for trig and calc its $35. Ya i mean its fun and its rewarding when they understand it they way I teach it
Old 10-19-2006, 10:47 AM

The girl I tutored yesterday lived on a 500 acre ranch. Must have crazy money. When I say I love it.I mean I really love it.

Tutoring was from 5-630 and the mother came in and said, "Do you guys know its 7:15"? Then I sat and chatted w/ the family for about 45 mins. Seems kinda of boring for most people but I truly love it.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The girl I tutored yesterday lived on a 500 acre ranch. Must have crazy money. When I say I love it.I mean I really love it.

Tutoring was from 5-630 and the mother came in and said, "Do you guys know its 7:15"? Then I sat and chatted w/ the family for about 45 mins. Seems kinda of boring for most people but I truly love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

girl must be hot
Old 10-19-2006, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I went on craiglist. I get $28 ph under the table and for trig and calc its $35. Ya i mean its fun and its rewarding when they understand it they way I teach it

[/ QUOTE ]
I tutored math for a couple years. You are charging way, way below market value, particularly for the income of the families you're talking about.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got a 2nd job as a Math Tutor. I go to peoples houses (mostly rich people!) and teach their kids Algebra, Calc, Trig etc. I love doing this. I wish I did this straight out college. Its good $$ for something I love to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a math degree and want to do this. Can you tell me how? Here or elsewhere.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:21 AM

i manage a dry cleaner (as everyone knows now) it rules hard.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:21 AM

Like most people with a good job, I love my job 20% of the time, like it 70% of the time, and dislike it 10% of the time. Because really, no matter how good your job is there are times when you would rather be doing something else.

Generally speaking, though, my job is fantastic. It's challenging, the compensation is good-very good, the hours are flexible, my supervisors let me do my own thing but help when asked, and the company goes out of it's way to repeatedly ask me if I'm happy and show that they're doing something to change that I don't like.

I think that the only two parts of my job that I don't like are:

1. It's consulting, and occasionally I get clients asking me to do multiple things in the same day/week and I end up working late which I don't like.

2. My company is big, so there is a certain level of mega-company PR-type BS that I typically ignore, but am still subjected to.

So overall, I would say yes, I love my job. But sometimes I would rather be watching cartoons.