Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Most righty media personalities FOS?

In another post Alien Boy said:
[ QUOTE ]
it's Glenn Beck. I went to high school with him, and he helped me get my first job in radio in 1982.

We don't speak any more - his shift to the right is quite unsettling.

[/ QUOTE ]
This reinforces my (factually baseless) opinion that most of the media personalities on the "right" - Limbaugh, Hannity, Savage, Beck, et. al.- don't actually believe the fear & hate mongering they do on a daily basis, but rather that is (or at least was at the time they started) the easiest path to gaining ratings. Am I way off base here, or do all these people really believe the garbage they spew?
Old 01-18-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Most righty media personalities FOS?

I think they are generally genuine. The sensationalism makes it look silly, but they believe the rational argument behind the finger pointing.

Side note: Colbert is on O'Reilly and O'Reilly is on Colbert tonight. Should be fun.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Side note: Colbert is on O'Reilly and O'Reilly is on Colbert tonight. Should be fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure O'Reilly despises Colbert, but I'm sure he'll play it off like he loves him. If someone had a show that was entirely about mocking me and my show, I sure would hate him.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:27 PM

Doesn't the Colbert Report air during O'Reilly? That would be kinda freaky.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:45 PM

Yeah, Colbert is during the second half hour of O'Reilly. I hope Colbert is a "jackanapes".
Old 01-18-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure O'Reilly despises Colbert, but I'm sure he'll play it off like he loves him. If someone had a show that was entirely about mocking me and my show, I sure would hate him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt he "dispises" him. Colberts acting is certainly convincing enough to have won O'Reily some viewers, and most of Colbert's audience is the sort that hated Pappa Bear already.

Cody
Old 01-18-2007, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt he "dispises" him. Colberts acting is certainly convincing enough to have won O'Reily some viewers, and most of Colbert's audience is the sort that hated Pappa Bear already.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, I can't read minds and niether can you but it be hard to imagine someone who's now incredibly popular mostly for his mocking of a person that the person being mocked wouldn't hate him. So what if it got him a few more viewers (might not be true anyway).
Old 01-18-2007, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it's Glenn Beck. I went to high school with him, and he helped me get my first job in radio in 1982.

[/ QUOTE ]
This reinforces my (factually baseless) opinion that most of the media personalities on the "right" - Limbaugh, Hannity, Savage, Beck, et. al.- don't actually believe the fear & hate mongering they do on a daily basis, but rather that is (or at least was at the time they started) the easiest path to gaining ratings. Am I way off base here, or do all these people really believe the garbage they spew?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a huge consumer of talk radio. Most are likely genuine but almost all of them are older, 40+ so a strong measure of conservatism is natural. I have my doubts about Savage but none about Rush, Hannity, Medved, Prager, Ingraham, Beck, Bennett and Hewitt. O'Reily claims to be middle of the road and I think he believes that. He's a 'classic liberal' in the Milton Freidman mold.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a huge consumer of talk radio. Most are likely genuine but almost all of them are older, 40+ so a strong measure of conservatism is natural. I have my doubts about Savage but none about Rush, Hannity, Medved, Prager, Ingraham, Beck, Bennett and Hewitt. O'Reily claims to be middle of the road and I think he believes that. He's a 'classic liberal' in the Milton Freidman mold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have my doubts with Rush sometimes. He believes Republicans > Democrats, and makes that a justification for intellectual dishonesty. Though I don't think he's ever trumpeted a fair and balanced kind of outlook.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have my doubts with Rush sometimes. He believes Republicans > Democrats, and makes that a justification for intellectual dishonesty. Though I don't think he's ever trumpeted a fair and balanced kind of outlook.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rush is none too bright. He's shockingly bad at math and makes abundant other errors. But he's been at it 20 years and I see little reason to doubt his ideological integrety.