Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 08:38 AM

Default Cocktails!

Ok, I'll admit it. I'm not really a fan of beer. And all these beer threads gave me the idea for this thread.

When I go to a bar or lounge, I end up just getting a beer most of the time, pushing my taste buds to the side for the sake of simplicity.
Add to that the fact that I'm not really a fan of the taste of hard alcohol either (i dunno how people can sip cognac and not make a face), and you see my dilemma.

Thread Request:
List a cocktail you like that doesnt taste like ass, doesn't make you look like you're ordering for your sister, and that bartenders will know how to make without taking out a handbook. Ingredients and taste descriptions are appreciated.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Cocktails!

A classic Gin and Tonic or Vodka Gimlet on the rocks are two standards that are easy to sip and not emasculating.

Most places now will know how to make a Caipirinha, which is a brazilian drink of muddled lime wedges and sugar with cachaca (sugar cane liquor). Done correctly it will be made with crushed ice and will taste like an alcoholic slushy. Very nice in the summer. Bonus manly points for being served in a tumbler. Substitute vodka for cachaca and its called a Caipiroshka.

A obscure drink I always recommend is the Southside. Its Gin, fresh mint, sugar and lemon juice on the rocks with a dash of club soda. Most bartenders wont know how to make it, but you can ask for a Tom Collins without the cherry and tell the bartender to add Mint if they have it. If the place makes Mojito's (another good drink btw) theyll have mint on hand.

Finally, people look at me like Im crazy but and well made Old Fashioned is a nice drink. Its rye whiskey, bitters, lemon peel, and sugar.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:31 PM

Surprised to see the Renaldo Balkman icon. You from Columbia?
Old 07-25-2006, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Surprised to see the Renaldo Balkman icon. You from Columbia?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, Im a Knicks fan eagerly anticipating the impending Balkmen era!
Old 07-25-2006, 02:37 PM

I am generally a burbon guy, so a Jim and Ginger or Burbon and Coke is my staple down here in the south. Or a 7 and 7.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am generally a burbon guy, so a Jim and Ginger or Burbon and Coke is my staple down here in the south. Or a 7 and 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have always hated the taste of hard alcohol. After years of drinking beer I decided to give hard alcohol another shot, so to speak. Rum and Coke is a good start. I tried 7 and 7 and thought that the Seagram's tasted pretty awful. I subbed Johnny Walker Black Label for Seagram's and was satisfied. I have yet to try a Tequila Sunrise but have always wanted to. I tried some straight tequila once and it was terrible. Cuervo Gold, I think. Anyway, I like good scotch and 7-Up and Rum and Coke. Screwdrivers rate well too, but it has been years since I partook in one of those. Absolute is the best vodka that I have tried so far and I found it barely drinkable--JW Black I could drink straight and enjoy. Sounds like we're in the same boat. My advice would be to avoid cheap booze (it's cheap for a reason). Look to the upper shelves and please report back with with the results of your experiment. I tried a Whiskey Sour and hated it, but would be interested to know what you thought.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:21 PM

Renaldo was a fan favorite during his 3 years in Columbia. He did have a habit of landing in the coach's doghouse and spending a lot of time on the bench as a result. It was usually "feast or famine" with him. You could tell during the first 2 minutes which it would be.

He's a high energy guy, pretty athletic who might do OK early on if given the right opportunity and circumstances. However, I don't think this Knicks team or Isiah Thomas meet those criteria. I hope he does well.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:45 AM

Rum and Coke is a great drink
You can also get a Captain Morgan and Coke which is good as well.
Pretty much Rum and anything is tasty. I prefer large, colorful tropical drinks with umbrellas and all of that!

I would also agree that a good Old Fashion is excellent as well.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:48 AM

Here are some ideas from a thread I ran in OOT. I can give you some more personal recommendations, though, if you start out by telling us a few things you've tried in the past that you liked. Are you looking strictly for drinks you can order in a bar, or are you interested in making some things on your own?
Old 07-25-2006, 05:28 PM

Super boring, but my favorite "rail" drink is whiskey and 7up. (7&7 only I'm cheap and like to take advantage of rail drink specials) I think they are pretty tasty even when made with cheapass whiskey.