Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 10:26 PM

Default Taking a stand with ATs in live 40/80...

Stakes: $40/$80
Players: 8 or 9-handed. Quazi-tight aggressive table with some gambling spots. I’ve left the table a couple hours earlier because it was too tight, but has since improved with some noticeable weak spots. *** of 5

Principal Player:
BB – Loose aggressive young Korean gambler. On the online world, they would say he has a problem finding the “fold button”.

Preflop action: (1.5 small bets, 8 or 9 handed) Folds to me, and I raise CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], BB 3-bets, I call.
Flop action: (6.5 small bets, 2 players): Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB bets, I call

Turn action: (4.25 big bets, 2 players): “blank” under T. BB bets, I call

River action: (6.25 big bets, 2 players) : T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] BB bets, I raise...

Yes? No? I’m curious how I did.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Garland
Old 08-30-2007, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Taking a stand with ATs in live 40/80...

not sure if i hate every street or love every street... i'd probably cap preflop and try to be the aggressor... raising river doesnt add much value imo... nobody folds better and dont pay off with worse enough... 77-99 payoff here? i dont think AK/J payoff enough for it to compensate for JJ+ or the 3-bet possibility... also, were you taking this to showdown ui?
Old 08-30-2007, 11:08 PM

I'm pretty much undecided between <fold turn> and <call down>. I wouldn't raise.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:15 PM

your read seems to change based on what you want to do in the hand, not how the action has dictated... if you thought you were ahead of his range preflop you should cap, if not i wouldnt call down... thats my logic, but its a bit abc... i think mixing this line in is fine even if its not standard
Old 08-31-2007, 12:18 AM

I might play this exactly the same way. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It's very player dependent and situation dependent though.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:43 AM

Really depends on what you think his 3 betting range is whether to call the flop/turn. River seems a bit thin without more of a read. If you think he'll bet all the way with ace high and payoff, and you can fold to a 3 bet, or think he might bluff 3 bet but won't 3 bet an overpair, then it could be good.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:00 AM

sure.

what's the plan on a nonTen river?
Old 08-31-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sure.

what's the plan on a nonTen river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Edited because I need to learn how to read. I thought the ten hit on the turn and the question was what to do on the river.

James' question stands, what was yer plan?
Old 08-31-2007, 12:33 PM

It would be helpful to know how long you'd been playing with the young Korean gambler and how you felt he saw your play.

In terms of the river raise, this looks like you've slowplayed a Q (I'm master of the obvious) and it would be a great way to have played a Q, but the type you describe is probably never folding anything that beats you. I don't think he calls with 88 here. As such, I'd probably not raise the river. In fact, getting him to show you 88 or AK after you call may do a lot more for your meta game than blowing him off a hand that can't call a river raise.

In general, unless you've been getting serially three bet I would muck when the turn bricked. My sense is that someone three betting you, even in a BSB scenario, is a fairly reliable indicator of strength. If you're a total unknown to him, throw that advice out the window.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:37 PM

Call the river, period. There is no postive expectation by getting fancy, since there is a lot of money in the pot already.

You fail, even if you prevailed in this particular hand.