Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Singapore

I'm thinking about going to Singapore either for an abroad year, or getting a complete degree there. It seems to be a nice place, strong economy, multicultural etc. And most of all, the weather seems to be a million times better than here in Sweden where I've been living my entire life.

I'd love to hear thoughts and impressions, both positive and negative, from others who are thinking about going there, are there now, or have been there in the past.

I found some pictures here . Looks like paradise in some of those shots.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Singapore

Hot, expensive, yet beautiful is about the best summary of my 3 day stay there about 6 years ago.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:44 PM

It's all about the food baby
Old 07-19-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hot, expensive, yet beautiful is about the best summary of my 3 day stay there about 6 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds sweet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. If the prices are higher there that must mean the average salary is higher as well? What did you compare the prices with, prices in the US?

I've gotten the idea that at least electronics are cheap in Singapore.

Does anyone know how "business friendly" Singapore is? Left vs Right politics, tax rates, attitude towards capitalism etc.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:12 AM

Singapore is a small, expensive, very clean, cery safe city. The food is good. I believe Singapore has the lowest tax rates out of 1st world countries. I also think its in the top ten in terms of standard of living, maybe top 5. its a fun place but it is expensive. one year in singapore is probably 5 years in thailand at a similar standard of living.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:54 AM

Be sure to take enough weed with you when you go, Iīve been told itīs not available there.

Oh, and dont spit on the ground, you might end in handcuffs.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Be sure to take enough weed with you when you go, Iīve been told itīs not available there.

Oh, and dont spit on the ground, you might end in handcuffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heroin is also hard to come by, so better bring some of that.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:16 AM

xxThe_Lebowskixx: Sounds good. Low tax rates ftw. Sounds like a good place to live and raise a family which is a bonus.

CommanderCorm: I think I'd rather not [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img], considering there's a $1000 fee if you smoke in a non smoking are, I bet they'll take my head clean off on the spot if I bring weed.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:46 AM

Singapore is clean and expensive with a lot of shopping. I was there for 3 days as a backpacker and I thought that was just enough.

The only beach they have is Santosa which is a manmade beach. It is nice, but its not like a paradise beach. I didn't get the impression of tropical paradise here at all. To me it is a clean city, that functions very well and has a lot of international business.

the only thing I didn't like about singapore people was they were pushy and often rude. Also of all the countries I've been to in Asia the girls were the most reserved, particularily towards white guys. I've never had worse luck in a club in like 18 countries I've been to. I talked to a friend there about it and I guess theres a negative stereotype about being a "Sarong Party Girl". I'm sure if ur here for awhile it will be no prob though.

Personally there are a lot of other places in the world I would like to spend a year, but for some people this could definately be perfect.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:49 AM

xxThe_Lebowskixx: Why's that?

sonneti: Yah, I'm not planning to, hehe :P

ski: My current school has a number of partner universities around the world in quite a few countries, and Singapore is the one I feel most like going to right now. Other options that are quite tempting are India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia and some different schools in Africa. A few years ago I really wanted to go to the USA, either California or Florida, but not anymore for some reason.

I hope I'll be able to make good enough contacts during my stay in whichever country I choose, so that I can stay there after finishing my studies, or at least go back shortly after.