Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 09:15 PM

Default Live deep 200NL - TPGK trips up on river

Stacks of Villain & Hero are $750+, rest of stacks are < $230.

Hero is dealt KQo UTG and raises to $20 PF - Villain calls $20 from UTG+1, 3 more calls behind see a flop of K 4 2 rainbow.

Hero leads out for $50 into $100 pot. Villain calls $50, rest fold.

Turn blank (7 completing rainbow or something like that) Hero leads for $50 into $200 pot, Villain raises to $150, Hero calls.

River K - Hero checks, Villain bets $150, Hero ???
Old 05-06-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Live deep 200NL - TPGK trips up on river

without a read, I think that's a fold on the turn raise by the villian. There's no draws out there for him to just flat call. I would prefer to check the turn, and call if the bet isn't too much. I don't like the weak lead, you're going to get messed around with once in a while, and you can't be sure if it's with a good hand or a weak one.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:32 PM

I dont think I could ever fold this after playing it so weakly.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:37 PM

since it's live i call
Old 05-07-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think I could ever fold this after playing it so weakly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-06-2007, 10:20 PM

This post is pretty bad. Is this a 3/5NL game with a 200 max buyin or something? Otherwise, why are you raising 10xBB with KQ UTG? Also, you two are the only deep ones at the table, so you must have some sort of read on him. With the info provided, I guess I would have folded the turn. As played, fold river.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:49 PM

is this full ring? If it is, Just fold KQo UTG.
and hows' the villains play? against most live donks I'd call cuz this could be a K lower kicker.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This post is pretty bad. Is this a 3/5NL game with a 200 max buyin or something? Otherwise, why are you raising 10xBB with KQ UTG? Also, you two are the only deep ones at the table, so you must have some sort of read on him. With the info provided, I guess I would have folded the turn. As played, fold river.

[/ QUOTE ]

His raise size is fairly standard for a live $1/$2 game. That being said, if this is a full game (9 or 10 players)I muck this UTG.

OP - what is up with your bet size on the turn? I've played a decent amount live, so I understand that pot size isnt always taken into consideration, but that bet is waaaay to light.

Being this deep I don't mind checking the turn for pot control. We have a decent made hand with showdown value - no need to inflate the pot. If you are going to bet, I like a bigger bet with the intention of folding to a raise.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:26 PM

Can you tell us anything about the villain?

($20 isn't all that odd preflop in a live 1/2 game btw)

Anyways, if the villain was kind of tight and you had a relatively solid image, he's going to be giving you a good amount of credit with your UTG raise and you putting a bunch of money in the pot postflop - and you can just fold the turn.

If you've been splashing a lot, and so has the villain, then a call is in order.

Generally in a live game you've been at for a while when you and another guy both are the only big stacks and he's on your immediate left you have a pretty decent idea what he's all about - so hit us up with some more info...
Old 05-07-2007, 12:13 AM

Actually I'm the Villain here and I am trying to see how the Hero could have played this hand not quite so badly. Guess I coulda mentioned that up front but it somewhat gives away the results (the fact that I know what he had that is.)

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a 3/5NL game with a 200 max buyin or something?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it's 1/2 with 200 max buyin at game start - Villain and myself have come up from 200 to our current stacks.

[ QUOTE ]
is this full ring? If it is, Just fold KQo UTG.
and hows' the villains play? against most live donks I'd call cuz this could be a K lower kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes it is full ring and I kind of thought Villain folding KQo UTG pre-flop might have been his best play. Post hand, he thought that too. My play (Villain) has been LAG-ish, seeing a reasonable number of flops but not just stupid. I've hit I think 4 sets this session and been paid off on all of them thus the $750ish stack. Hero has hit some big hands and been paid off on them too - but not by me.

[ QUOTE ]
OP - what is up with your bet size on the turn? I've played a decent amount live, so I understand that pot size isnt always taken into consideration, but that bet is waaaay to light.

[/ QUOTE ]
Aside from Hero not folding PF, I do think his 2nd mistake was the weak bet on the turn. Had he bet half pot or maybe 3/4 pot on the turn and got raised by Villain (me) he may have figured out he was in trouble. From my position, I only called the $50 flop bet hoping to get a call or two behind me but they all folded so when he bet $50 on the turn, I felt ok raising it because if the K bothered him, I wasn't getting much more. When the river was another K and he checked, I knew I was winning and the $150 felt like an amount he'd call even if he had AA for example and not a king in his hand. I *may* have been able to get more here but he took a while to call the $150 and might not have called a lot more - though a shove MAY have looked suspisous enough for him to call and I'd have stacked him (see below for result.)

[ QUOTE ]
Anyways, if the villain was kind of tight and you had a relatively solid image, he's going to be giving you a good amount of credit with your UTG raise and you putting a bunch of money in the pot postflop - and you can just fold the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think my image was too tight - somewhat LAG-ish. As far as my image of Hero, he's fairly tight and didn't seem too tricky. I was actually looking for a pot to play with him because he and I were the only big stacks and I felt like I could win some money from him given the right flop. If either of us was a lot shorter stacked, I'd have folded pocket 2s to his $20 UTG PF raise.

So to summarize in case this has become totally confusing:

I was Villain in this hand. Hero called my $150 river bet and got shown 22 for 2s full of kings. I think he avoids this loss by either folding PF, betting a bit more on flop or turn or both and figuring out hes beat when I am pushing back?