Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2007, 10:04 AM

Default Can you live peacefully with poker?

I read this post, it was an answer to one of sbrugby's last entries to his blog ...

[ QUOTE ]
This blog seems to be a mix of severe mania, clinical depression, and egomania. Can this profession that so drastically affects your mind set be the right career choice? Neurotransmitters eventually will adapt to these chronic periods of "ups and downs" and you may need severe help. With all your cash I recommend playing for fun @ lower levels to keep you more even headed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it a bit exaggerated but it contains a lot of true. When you are in a downswing your confidence is easily affected the same it is easily boosted when you are on an upswing.

Do you think you can make a quiet and peacefull live playing poker?

regards,

dardo
Old 05-26-2007, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Can you live peacefully with poker?

quit and peaceful? no

fun profitable and free? yes
Old 05-28-2007, 07:57 PM

I am trying to answer the OP's question for myself. I have a double wammy though, I add manic-depression to the mix. I play so I don't have to go to a real job. I am not hugely succesful,but I am able to pay the bills. When I did go to a real job I was so unhappy. Presently, I am not high on life but happier than before poker. I suffer from huge mood swings,even when my losses are not substantial. I am realizing that my life just needs to have some balance. Those days of rolling out of bed solely to play poker are gradually fading-but only because I realized that my life had just became poker. I am making changes and seeing the larger picture. I have to play to pay the bills,but even after they are paid, I just want to play more. Why, because of the money-absolutely wrong. I would make a liitle more sometimes much more, but the thing was-I wasn't using this money to make my life any better;it was just to have it. I am going to put in my hours to live comfortably, but I am slowly moving away from those 100+ hr weeks. I don't know if all this has to do with living peacefully and playing poker, but my life is becoming more peaceful as I branch out and do other things. In conclusion: can you live peacefully with any other job/hobby?
Old 05-28-2007, 09:59 PM

lol @ all the people acting like money doesnt matter.

money is the motivation......the losing doesnt affect people like brian because they KNOW that losing money at times is just a part of winning the massive amounts so even when he loses money he is really winning it.

I use to worry over rent and whether my job was giving me what i deserve or recreational expenses....now i laugh at that penny anny [censored] and im so much happier for it.

I make it rain
Old 06-01-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
money is holyfield5's motivation......the losing doesnt affect people like brian because they KNOW that losing money at times is just a part of winning the massive amounts so even when he loses money he is really winning it.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

My motivation is time with my kids. Sure money gets me there, but I could make the money elswhere and not have the free time.

Ret
Old 06-01-2007, 07:07 PM

I make a quiet and peaceful living playing poker.

But I think i'd live quietly and peacefully no matter how I paid my bills. Unless I was a cheerleader or a soldier or something.

As for me, I don't need much money, I just want enough to live comfortably now and invest the rest so that I can continue to do so in the future, with or without a family to support.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
money is holyfield5's motivation......the losing doesnt affect people like brian because they KNOW that losing money at times is just a part of winning the massive amounts so even when he loses money he is really winning it.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

My motivation is time with my kids. Sure money gets me there, but I could make the money elswhere and not have the free time.

Ret

[/ QUOTE ]

Respect due. As you get older, I believe time becomes more precious than money. Especially time spent with your family.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:26 AM

The poster of that answer is obviously not used to big sums of money (neither am I, but that is irrelevant).
Playing with 400K swings and still continue to play your A-game just means that money is not that important for Brian. That's not "severe mania, clinical depression, and egomania", it just means that he has learned to cope with those swings and that is a GOOD thing.

The point is, IT'S ONLY MONEY. Money is not that important in life. Especially when you have plenty of it, but also when you don't have much, like me.

Important things in life are food, a place to stay, health, friends, love, happiness. Money is not on that list. A couple of thousands of years ago there was no money, nobody could buy stuff, but I can't imagine that everyone was unhappy back then.

As long as you realize that money is not that important, and that poker is just one part of your life - instead of 'your life' - it's very possible to live peacefully with poker. It can make a good life even better.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Money is not that important in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

People tell themselves that when they dont have much
Old 05-26-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Money is not that important in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

People tell themselves that when they dont have much but are happy nonetheless, unlike those rich but lonely mind-numbed internet grind-zombies

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP