Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2006, 03:55 PM

Default Live NL HE game after a tourney...

I posted this in the NL small stakes but I thought it might get more responses here as it is a live game.

I am playing in a live game that developes after a tournament. Blinds are 1/2 NL HE. The game frequently features 4-5 limping into the pot and one or two callers to a PF raise. I don't know the players that well and they don't really know me.

Forgive me if some of the information is vague. I will do my best to get the main details right.

I am dealt 77 UTG, 9 handed.

3 limpers and a blind makes it $8. All call for a pot of about $40, 5 handed.

Flop 874 3 suites.

Blind bets out 10, I raise to 30 to go. I have 150 behind me and I have him covered. All fold to him and He calls. Pot 100.

Turn card K club putting two clubs on the board. He checks and I put him all in for about 80 more or so.

Am I wrong for driving out players on the flop?

Is my turn all in the best play at this point? I feel I am pot committed for sure but is just dropping another $40 a better idea here?

The more I think about it, the more I think a good player wouldn't call my raise on the flop...

ps: only a limit player online.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Live NL HE game after a tourney...

If I were in your situation, and got the call on the flop, I would only be worried about a big blind flopping that straight or 8-8.

But with mid trips, you want a call from anyone who doesn't have that straight. Now you got a pretty decent call off him on the flop, and the turn card was either a helper (not enough to make you feel sick over) becasue he could have called you with A-K and he caught up enough to put more of his money into the pot.

Considering this was a Game put together after or during a tourny that the players have been knocked out of, people may feel inclined to try to "win their buyin and fee back".
So perhaps this was the mans effort to draw out and hit a big score. So with that in mind, you have to wonder, if he's drawing, he can't be drawing to much, you don't want to scare him away cause he IS drawing and you have a made hand, and since he's already given you this much already, what would say 20$ on the turn look like to him? perhaps he would just come right back over and give you the rest if he's drawing or hit that a-k.

The only hands you should be worried about is 8-8,5-6 (most likely and he's jsut waiting for you to put the rest in)or open ended draw,k-k, a-a or the new flush draw, which is hte least likely.

Other than that, you have a great hand that is made, and you're not going to lay it down unless a scare card comes on the river, which the blind, if he just called on the turn, will most likely attempt to "CR" you, which you will just check and see the showdown.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:56 PM

And the scare cards on the river include any club or J. I guess 6 or 5 complete gutshots but I don't know how a raiser from the blind after many callers has hands like that. Wouldn't 55 or just check (complete) from a blind?

psw
Old 04-29-2006, 06:05 PM

I think you played it fine. I would do the same. I like your flop raise to drive out or don't let them draw cheaply. Turn is good.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I posted this in the NL small stakes but I thought it might get more responses here as it is a live game.

I am playing in a live game that developes after a tournament. Blinds are 1/2 NL HE. The game frequently features 4-5 limping into the pot and one or two callers to a PF raise. I don't know the players that well and they don't really know me.

Forgive me if some of the information is vague. I will do my best to get the main details right.

I am dealt 77 UTG, 9 handed.

3 limpers and a blind makes it $8. All call for a pot of about $40, 5 handed.

Flop 874 3 suites.

Blind bets out 10, I raise to 30 to go. I have 150 behind me and I have him covered. All fold to him and He calls. Pot 100.

Turn card K club putting two clubs on the board. He checks and I put him all in for about 80 more or so.

Am I wrong for driving out players on the flop?

Is my turn all in the best play at this point? I feel I am pot committed for sure but is just dropping another $40 a better idea here?

The more I think about it, the more I think a good player wouldn't call my raise on the flop...

ps: only a limit player online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you worried about driving out the limpers? You want to isolate the BB who's raised twice so if he actually has some kind of hand he may feel committed to it. Anyways, you gave the limpers decent odds to call if they were drawing but you know they were going to fold after a bet and a raise, right? Your mini-raise had to have sent a message about your hand.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:59 AM

Really? I gave any limper 8:3 or 2.6:1 odds to call. I know there are implied odds too but they don't know the BB is calling and I will put more money in on the turn if they hit for their implied odds and they don't know if the BB will reraise for reverse implied odds. I think it would be pretty scary to join this pot from the limpers point of view.

I did give the blind 8:2 or 4:1 odds so in that case, perhaps my raise wasn't big enough, should he be on a straight draw. I really didn't put the blind on that however. I figured big slick/chick or PP.

psw

ps. Do people put in raises w/ JTs from the BB in NL like they might do in limit in a multiway pot?
Old 04-30-2006, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really? I gave any limper 8:3 or 2.6:1 odds to call. I know there are implied odds too but they don't know the BB is calling and I will put more money in on the turn if they hit for their implied odds and they don't know if the BB will reraise for reverse implied odds. I think it would be pretty scary to join this pot from the limpers point of view.

I did give the blind 8:2 or 4:1 odds so in that case, perhaps my raise wasn't big enough, should he be on a straight draw. I really didn't put the blind on that however. I figured big slick/chick or PP.

psw

ps. Do people put in raises w/ JTs from the BB in NL like they might do in limit in a multiway pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I said you gave "decent" odds to call but I doubted any of them would stay with the OB and raiser in front of them. To a lot of people playing B&M, especially after a tourney 2.6:1 on an open ended straight draw (and quite a bit worse hands too) are good enough for them to play.