Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2006, 07:18 PM

Default Changing the way WPEX does rakeback..

I called WPEX support and asked them how rakeback was calculated. They said the rake you get back is equal to rake taken from the pot multiplied by the % of the pot that is your money. Example: You contribute 6$ to a 60$ pot. 3$ of rake is taken from this 60$ pot. Since you contributed to 10% of the pot you get 10% * 3$ = 30 cents of rakeback.

This method of getting your rakeback has the effect of favoring the losing players and hurting the winning players. A simple example will illustrate:

Suppose player A and player B decide to play heads up on WPEX. Player A is the better player of the two and wins 100 $60 pots. Player B only wins 50 60$ pots. Player A paid $100 * 3 = $300 in rake. Player B paid $50 * 3 = $150 in rake. However, since player A contributed half of the pot to all 150 pots, and all 150 pots were raked at $3, WPEX gives player A 150 * $3 * 50% = 225$. WPEX gives player B the same, since he contributed the same as player A to all the pots. So player A only gets 225$ in rakeback money, but paid 300$ in rake! Clearly he got jipped 75$ since he was the better player, and the 75$ went to Player B, the weaker of the two players!

I think its only fair that each player should be treated the same and that player A should get back 100% of the money (300$) he paid in rake and player B should get back 100% of the money he paid in rake (150$).

What do you guys think?
Old 04-21-2006, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Changing the way WPEX does rakeback..

i think that would result in you and all of the rest of the 2+2ers getting less rakeback.

I think thats a bad idea.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think that would result in you and all of the rest of the 2+2ers getting less rakeback.

I think thats a bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say that? Most 2+2ers are winning players and so if they changed it to my way, they would get more rakeback money.

Reasoning?
Old 04-21-2006, 07:33 PM

Winning players in theory should win less pots because they arent playing as many pots. Someone that plays 100 percent of the flops would win more hands despite losing more money.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Reasoning?

[/ QUOTE ]
The fishier you are, the more hands you play.
The more hands you play the more rake you pay.

Evidence:
In my 40k hand sample at 200NL, The rake directly taken from me was 2708$

The total rake taken (from all players) was 39597, with 9.19 average # of players - so on average each player is paying 4308$ rake.

So the average player is paying 59% more rake than I am. Therefore if the average rake is taken and divided amongst the table, I get paid 59% more rake than was even taken from me in the first place.
/\that is the way partypoker and most sites do rakeback.

But WPEX does sort of a cross between the two. I prefer the party way...but I like money.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Reasoning?

[/ QUOTE ]
The fishier you are, the more hands you play.
The more hands you play the more rake you pay.

Evidence:
In my 40k hand sample at 200NL, The rake directly taken from me was 2708$

The total rake taken (from all players) was 39597, with 9.19 average # of players - so on average each player is paying 4308$ rake.

So the average player is paying 59% more rake than I am. Therefore if the average rake is taken and divided amongst the table, I get paid 59% more rake than was even taken from me in the first place.
/\that is the way partypoker and most sites do rakeback.

But WPEX does sort of a cross between the two. I prefer the party way...but I like money.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're right that if it was done the Party way it would favor the winning players. But it isnt. Its done this modified way. Are you sure that with the modified way it still favors the winning players? Involving yourself in more pots is going to mean your contributing higher %'s to pots which means while you pay more rake you get more rakeback. It doesnt seem like how loose or tight you are has any bearing on how much rake you get back relative to how much you pay.

Here's a good example:
If im a good player, I tend to fold pre-flop far more and and fold on the flop far more. However, when I get involved in a hand (i.e. put a significant amount of money in) I tend to win more often that lose relative to the % of the pot that is mine. This ensures im a winning player. This means that I pay the rake more often that I dont pay rake given the % of the pot that is mine on average. But I still only get rakeback for the % of the pot that is mine. So I lose some money.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:57 PM

Who pays the rake?

The winner of the pot.

ToT
Old 04-21-2006, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you say that? Most 2+2ers are winning players...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they aren't.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:05 PM

I would say the majority of people who post at least 5 times per week in strategy are winning players
Old 04-21-2006, 07:44 PM

2 players HU contributes the same the pot.

ToT