Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2006, 01:24 AM

Default All in (Except a few) rules

OK, so I was playing 10 25 nl at the majestic (formerly the trump) in indiana. 2 times, this guy went all in by putting all his greens (25 dollar chips) and blacks (100 dollar chips) into the middle. The thing is, he still had a few reds left (5 dollar chips), and these reds played. So both times he did this, I happened to have a set so I said "put the rest in there" as I shoved enough to cover him in the middle. I won the hand both times, and he mucked his cards, so I never saw what he had.

Now I know that TECHNICALLY I put him all in and that he doesn't have to show his cards, but when he bets 1200 dollars leaving himself 20 bucks, shouldn't that be from a practical standpoint "all in."

Do any of you employ this tactic to keep from having to expose your cards, and is this ethical? Also, would it have been wrong for me to ask for him to turn over his cards (I know under normal circumstances its considered bad etiquette)?
Old 01-10-2006, 01:43 AM

Default Re: All in (Except a few) rules

If neither player says "all in" or moves all the chips into the pot, then neither player is all in. You can't "put him all in". He can only put himself all in. You can only put yourself all in. If you say "I put you all in" and he folds, then you have't put him all in. I hate that line and I wish it was banned.

As for the seeing a called hand. Any player dealt into that particular hand may request to see any and all called hands. You paid for it, you are entitled to see it as long as you ask BEFORE the dealer mucks the cards. The dealer MAY NOT remove any cards from the muck even if they are on top. The floorman is the only one allowed to do anything with the muck in this manner.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:00 AM

Photoc,

You are right, I should have used the term "last aggressor" instead of "all in." The question still stands though. Since technically I was the last aggressor (raising him 20 dollars) but he was the practical last aggressor (betting 1200 dollars), should I be allowed to see his cards without fear of being disrespectful or having bad etiquette? I know the rulebook answer, but we don't play in a vacuum.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:25 AM

A guy bets $1,200 and folds for a $20 raise and you want to see his cards? Why could you possibly want to see his cards? He isn't the guy I want poker lessons from.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:59 AM

The guy called the 20 bucks
Ive done this a few times with a real assclown at the table
For example on time I flopped top 2 against a flush chasing donkey. I bet he pushed I instalcalled. ( I had AK flop was AK 4 and he had King 5 and a flush draw and he caught running fives) I flipped my cards over on the flop (even though I didn have to) and on the river he literlely sat there for atleast 30 seconds before flipping over his runner runner. I told him in plain english if he ever does that again Ill beat the table with his skull for however long he slowrolls for. Half the table was telling me I was being a dick so they started asking to see my uncalled hands. Four times that night I bet all my chips except a dollar so they would technically be the last agressor. Lets just say the guy who slowrolled on me wasnt too happy when I slowrolled my flopped set into rivered quads. the one time I lost i fired my cards separately into the muck so they would be unretrieveable.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A guy bets $1,200 and folds for a $20 raise and you want to see his cards? Why could you possibly want to see his cards? He isn't the guy I want poker lessons from.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, Obviously the guy called for the last 20 dollars. He just didn't want to show his cards after the hand was over.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, would it have been wrong for me to ask for him to turn over his cards (I know under normal circumstances its considered bad etiquette)?

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't get started down this road. I know that it happens in low to mid limits, and it's tolerated (most of the time), but you don't really want to get into this habit.

1) A good CRM or floorman will tell you that you are abusing the IWTSTH rule, or outright embarrass you and either forbid you to ask again, or kick you out
2) No one will want to play against you, and will start turbo mucking, slowrolling and/or shooting other quasi-angles against you

IMO, if you want to see everyone's hand, stay online. This is extremely poor etiquette live, and the higher the limits you play, the less it will be tolerated.

Good luck!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If neither player says "all in" or moves all the chips into the pot, then neither player is all in. You can't "put him all in". He can only put himself all in. You can only put yourself all in. If you say "I put you all in" and he folds, then you have't put him all in. I hate that line and I wish it was banned.

[/ QUOTE ]
AMEN!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Photoc,

You are right, I should have used the term "last aggressor" instead of "all in." The question still stands though. Since technically I was the last aggressor (raising him 20 dollars) but he was the practical last aggressor (betting 1200 dollars), should I be allowed to see his cards without fear of being disrespectful or having bad etiquette? I know the rulebook answer, but we don't play in a vacuum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope U got his money that should eb good enough. Y do U care what he had!!!!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Photoc,

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope U got his money that should eb good enough. Y do U care what he had!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I think it was a fairly cheap shot for him to effectively be the last aggressor and not have to show his cards.