Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2006, 12:34 AM

Default Lipscomb says bill won\'t pass

I wen't to a conference in which Steve Lispcomb was on the panel http://www.hbsemc.com/emc/index.cfm

I asked him about the new legislative push to ban online poker and he said in front of over 200 Harvard business students and corporate executives that he doesn't think the bill will pass. The funny thing to me is that he looks at online gaming as one of his biggest competitors when I see it as one of the only reasons his company can exist at the level it does. Go figure. One thing thats for sure is that he seemed a lot smarter than all of the TV execs that were there.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Lipscomb says bill won\'t pass

unfortunately in my state playing online poker WILL very soon be a class c felony
Old 04-22-2006, 01:43 AM

Well I was talking about the federal bills running through congress. Do you make enough money from poker for it to be worth it to move?
Old 04-22-2006, 01:54 AM

I didn't see him on any of the lists-did he just show up uninvited or something?
Old 04-22-2006, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
unfortunately in my state playing online poker WILL very soon be a class c felony

[/ QUOTE ]

They said in another thread that it already is.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:04 PM

He was on the Future of Television panel. I had never seen his face b4 the 8th. I read his name and position in the program.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The future of television

11am - 12am

Television is one of the most dynamic segments of entertainment & media industry. New, disruptive technologies are redefining the television landscape while key industry players struggle to keep up. Among the primary issues of discussion will be: Network TV: Is this a dead business?; Digital distribution - A Threat or an Opportunity; Key strategies to embrace new distribution outlets; Nielsen – An accurate ratings tool or an antiquated measurement system; The Economics of Network and Cable Production: Is this a good business in which to invest?; The Future of Television

* Larry Aidem, CEO, Sundance Channel
* Jay Scharer, Managing Partner, Franklin Street Partners
* Bryan Bowles, SVP of Sales, Sony Pictures TV
* Dan Renaldo, SVP, Finance, Operations & Business Dev, ABC News
* Moderator: Michelle Zierler, Entertainment Law Consultant

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not doubting that he was there-I just don't his name anywhere on the site
Old 04-22-2006, 02:20 PM

What did he base his opinion on? I believe the odds of enactment into law are currently 50-50, and every day that passes without action in the House, those odds slip just a little.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:44 PM

He didn't give too much of a long winded answer. Plus my question was 2 pronged. I asked if the bill would hurt him due to the gaming sites advertising dollars with the travel channel. And also if he thought the ammendment and money transfers ban would pass in the Senate.

He said that he will make money either way. If the "status quo" changes (which he sees as 5-6 yrs off) then he would have an opportunity to get in on the internet money. He said that if the ban was upheld he would lose his biggest competition (party gaming who he says his company only earns a small fraction in comparison to). He said that there is just too much profit being made on the opposition. He didn't really talk about gov't profits as much as TV profits.

I think that it is very likely that he and his company pay very close to issues like these as it greatly effects his market standing.