Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2006, 02:12 AM

Default PLO8 $50 A23x

today was my first day playing plo8, though i played lo8 a bit and read o8poker.com. here i know i played horribly, but i'm not sure how to face heat with strong draws like this. i have a draw to the nut low and the flush here, so i couldn't see myself folding.

Party Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
10 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $44.25
Hero: $64
UTG+2: $33.67
MP1: $39.81
MP2: $41.65
MP3: $52.45
CO: $104.32
Button: $25.31
SB: $70.58
BB: $44.02

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is UTG+1 with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, Hero calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $2.75</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($9, 3 players)
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $8.55</font>, Hero calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($26.1, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $24.8</font>, Hero calls.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($75.7, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO is all-in $68.22</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero calls all-in $27.9</font>.
Uncalled bets: $40.32 returned to CO.

Results:
Final pot: $131.5
Old 04-15-2006, 02:34 AM

Default Re: PLO8 $50 A23x

Raise preflop, pot flop, pot turn, pot pot pot pot pot pot pot.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:45 AM

do you think he's on a draw also? if i pot the turn and get called, a lot of cards on the river leave me with nothing. BUT if he's only after a low i may be freerolling against him.

do i have enough FE do pot here given i may miss my low?
Old 04-15-2006, 03:07 AM

You didn't give any reads so I have no idea about the player.

When you raise preflop you would now have an easy contrinuation bet on this flop. Assuming typical PLO8 fish the range of hands is very wide to be able to put him on a particular hand, but you're at or around a coinflip on a good chunk of a fish's holdings, and possibly very +EV against some as well.

If you pot this flop against your typical nut peddler, it's much easier to put him on a hand, because nut peddlers will almost always give away what they hold either preflop on the flop. If he is indeed a nut peddler, he's most likely only calling AA2, A258, A259, or A289. A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]X[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2, and any combination of A67(most likely with a 2) is pushing against you.

It's much easier to play the hand if you take control of it.

The way the hand played out, the turn would be a nice bluffing card, as the way villain is playing this screams AAXX(just hope it's not [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]).
Old 04-15-2006, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop, pot flop, pot turn, pot pot pot pot pot pot pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I disagree with everything said here. Your hand is not worth a raise here preflop OOP with three to one suit and NOT the ace. The only thing that makes this a call is the A23. Even that only has so much value when it is not suited to the ace.

On the flop I like the check call. You have a big draw to the low with backup help in the form of the 3 to stop the counterfeiting. Your flush draw though is J high. Nothing to get to excited about. You have to remember in pot limit pot management is by far and away the most important aspect of the game. By leading out on this flop you create alarger pot for your opponent to raise to thus either making you fold right there or pot commiting you. Check calling here allows you to see a turn a t a relatively cheap price and if you hit you can get all of your chips in right then and there.

On the turn your flush draw is most definetly as good as garbage if it wasn't already. The board paired which means you might be drawing dead to the boat if not an already higher flush draw. By playing the way you did on the flop, I fold here. If you planned on seeing this hand till the river, you should have led out on the flop to let yourself get your chips in earlier thus creating the minimal amount of FE that you might have. Now your drawing most likely at half the pot and maybe even a quarter. Remeber, you are up against the preflop raiser and flop bettor and now turn bettor. Obviously this guy has something he likes. It could very well be AA2x,A23x,...with the ace od diamonds suited...

On the river you shouldn't be there but taking your line it is a must call. You hit the best diamond out there (besides for the ace ofcourse) giving you the 3rd nut instead of 4th (either way awful all the way around). Your getting 4-1 on your money so I don't see how you justify a fold. If you think you were beat by a boat or bigger flush then obviously you wouldn't have made it to this point. You would have folded a while ago.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:38 AM

yeah i agree i played bad and got lucky. frankly i felt he might also be drawing to a low, but i guess if a diamond doesn't hit i'm probably getting quartered at best.

i think my flop play is fine, but i should give up on the turn. as i said it's my first time playing, so i know i made some mistakes. thanks.

btw villian had A235, no diamonds, so i guess he was trying to bluff me out of the pot on the river. seems like everyone at this level latches on to low cards and can't ever give them up.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:48 AM

This guy obviously didn't want any action, his 100 dollar stack shows he is either lucky or good, and my guess is that he had AAxx suited to the diamond for one of them.

Knowing that very few players are in the hand at the flop makes your nut low draw much less valuable, and you are only drawing to a marginal flush, but it's a tough call, if you aren't feeling lucky and don't like huge variance, I'd fold the flop.

But sometimes when you are in the heat of the moment you can't get away from a nut low draw even heads up. Even the best of us are learning to make correct plays, and we can always make the right analysis after the hand, but when we are in the middle of the hand sometimes we fall for the same mistakes.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:55 AM

i know what you mean, in this hand i was like "oh god big pot fold fold OH GOD BIG DRAW fold fold ... calllll"

also, should i reraise this preflop? if he has A2xx, it seems pretty marginal, as i have to look more at my high hand prospects.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:23 AM

Raise preflop = good to me, bad for some
reraise = BAAAAAAADDDDDDDDD NO NO NO NO NO
Old 04-15-2006, 04:25 AM

He way overplayed his hand, a hand like that wants as many in the pot as possible, he played them like an AA2 or something, which is what I guessed.

Anyways good job with that nice pot. But be more careful next time.