Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2006, 02:28 AM

Default Workin\' the cyber streets(no strategy)

For most of you this is old news, but I would like to share a discovery I made last night. Nothing earth shattering, but I think it has merit.

I posted here a couple days ago and asked about bonus whoring, got a couple responses, nothing major, so I decided to do some research on my own. We all have likely seen the banners that say something like "$100 free just for trying out (insert site you have never heard of). Anytime I saw these offers I would think "meh, 100 bucks, big effin deal, I'll make that stacking a couple of fish at party tonight" and wouldn't give it a second thought. Last night I decided to look into the structure of some of these bonuses, and here is what I found:

Most bonuses clear at a rate of 5-20x, meaning you have to play 5-20 times the amount of your bonus in raked hands to clear the bonus.

So let's say Joe's poker site is offering you $100 dollars on a $100 new deposit, and it clears at a rate of 10x. This means that if you play 1,000 hands, you will get $100. Now I play NL $50, so $100 for 1,000 hands is the equivalent of 10 PTBB's/100. Holy [censored]! I had never looked at it this way before, and when I actually sat down and figured this out, I was blown away.

Ever since I have started playing NL I have been steadfast in my Party Poker ways. I have always thought that Party has the most fish so it's the best place to play. I have been afraid to try other sites because I was convinced I would find a sea of TAG's and maintaining a healthy winrate would be very difficult. However, last night's research led me to this conclusion: If I only play poker when I am clearing a bonus that clears at 10x or better, I can play break even poker and still assure that my winrate will be 10PTBB's/100 or better.

So, moral of the story - I am becoming a full blown bonus whore. I have decided not to play another hand of poker that isn't contributing to a bonus being cleared. So if you ever see a sweet deposit bonus and decide to hit it up, check out the NL $50 6max tables. If you see "AZplaya", then it's me, and I'll be workin' the cyber streets. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]