Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you take the plunge?
I am 25 or younger and would not 246 21.87%
I am 25 or younger and would go for a finger, but no strap on 154 13.69%
I am 25 or younger and I'd go for it 260 23.11%
I am 26 or older and would not 134 11.91%
I am 26 or older and would go for a finger, but no strap on 97 8.62%
I am 26 or older and I'd go for it 208 18.49%
I'm a chick and I'd like to do this to a guy sometime 13 1.16%
I'm a chick and I have no interest in trying this on a guy 13 1.16%
Voters: 1125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2006, 02:30 PM

Default Hiring a webmaster. What is the standard deal?

I own a couple of domain names and I have decided to take the next step and start them up. I put an ad on a myspace group for a webmaster in the los angeles area this is the offer i got.

$150 flat rate and 50% of all advertising sales for maintaining the site. The site is a entertainment/news site which features up coming events and clubs w/ a member site.

Any suggestion?
Old 04-24-2006, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Hiring a webmaster. What is the standard deal?

really depends on how much profit you are expecting via ads.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:11 AM

Get reference URLs. Your site will look like some of them. For that low of an upfront price, you're not going to get anything too custom. I'd expect him to try and put up a stock site w/ whatever content management system, frontend, etc. he's used to and seed it with your specific events, graphics, etc.

If you ask for changes only occasionally and they're in scope with what the software he's using already offer it'll be done ASAP. If you're a hardass wanting very specific changes that aren't easy, he'll start to tune you out and you'll need to get someone else.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you ask for changes only occasionally and they're in scope with what the software he's using already offer it'll be done ASAP. If you're a hardass wanting very specific changes that aren't easy, he'll start to tune you out and you'll need to get someone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

This pretty much sums up what I was gonna say. For $150 ( one time fee or monthly?) and 50% of nothing you are not going to get much. (advertising sales will be zero at the begining and most likely zero in the future unless you put alot of work into it) If its a monthly payment of $150 then you might get someone willing to maintain the site for you depending on what you need done. Are you expecting him to design the site for you as well? Keep in mind that while alot of webmaster can design a site for you alot of them are not very good at it. You are going to have to pay alot more than $150 to get a nice looking site. A designer might do a couple banners or a logo for you for that price but not a well layed out, good looking site. If most of the updates you are going to need are just simple text and inserting pics you might consider doing it yourself. An afternoon of reading and a WYSIWYG HTML editor and you would be in business.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:16 AM

this is the site he build for this DJ in la
www.djladytribe.com
the $150 is a one time fee.... he said he pretty much has the same deal with her.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:49 AM

It looks like that's one logo, a form for subscribing to a e-newsletter, and a myspace-like page. If that's what you want, then fine... go for it.

None of us responding really know what you're looking for. Personally, I see no value at all in the site you linked to. For something more professional (and certainly different from what you offered), I'd recommend checking out a local (to me) site: The Music Mill. Very clean, very informative site for a local music venue/restaurant/bar.

Granted, you're not representing one venue, but at least it's an example of how to show a bunch of events (and sell tickets). If this is for a band or something, find one you like and post a link to that. You may find that it's easier to get free/cheap help for something like a band's fan club when they can offer things like free admission to events rather than cash if that's an option.

Keep in mind that a staff web developer will make $20-$50/hr typically. If you're paying a consulting agency, it's more likely $75+/hr. So for $150 flat, you're getting whatever the person can get done in an afternoon.