Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2006, 08:19 PM

Default AK calldown yucky

34/5/2 (not the best stats but he did raise preflop and fire 3 barrels with AJo in the past on a K44 board. I never raised him though and he is raising on this board.)

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

I'm not folding on this rag flop.

Turn: (5 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Well I def can't fold now.

River: (7 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB

Well I'm at the river. Might as well see what he has. That flush is scary though.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:24 PM

Default Re: AK calldown yucky

I think you can fold that river.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:24 PM

When people check raise the flop, they almost always either have a pair or a draw. By the river, the only draw that was out there just got there. I think you can fold it.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When people check raise the flop, they almost always either have a pair or a draw. By the river, the only draw that was out there just got there. I think you can fold it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this statement, turn that 8h into an 8c, and I think calling the river is +EV vs folding. Not only did the hearts come in but if the villain flopped an OESD or a Wheel draw, he also turned you.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:02 PM

You've picked up a nice redraw. I'd raise for a free Ocean.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've picked up a nice redraw. I'd raise for a free Ocean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that there aren't some perks, but this is a can of worms I'd rather leave closed. It takes a decent player to check-fold a busted draw on this board.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:19 AM

If you were going to call down anyway, what about raising the turn and checking behind on the river? If you hit your straight or overcards, you can bet again on the river.

Requires the villian go into calldown mode though after the raise.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were going to call down anyway, what about raising the turn and checking behind on the river? If you hit your straight or overcards, you can bet again on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain is bluffing, we lose out on a BB because he folds. If villain has a strong hand, we are forced to call his 3-bet because of our outs, and then when we get to the river, we are usually too scared to fold for yet another BB. I think calling down is way better than raising the turn. But by the river, we really should fold.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:39 PM

dont like the rivar
Old 04-11-2006, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain is bluffing, we lose out on a BB because he folds. If villain has a strong hand, we are forced to call his 3-bet because of our outs, and then when we get to the river, we are usually too scared to fold for yet another BB. I think calling down is way better than raising the turn. But by the river, we really should fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the villian is on a flush draw or has a worse ace, we charge them on the turn when they very well might not have have bet the river.

As for the 3-bet, yea, I mentioned that. It has to be someone likely to go into call down mode. A 2.0 aggro is in that range, someone who likes to lead and raise flops, but doesn't reach the 2.5-3 aggro because they go passive against resistence post flop.

For what it's worth, I like calling the turn and folding that particular river. I'm just playing devil's advocate to some extent to ponder other possibilities.