Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2006, 04:44 PM

Default I got donked

Villain just sat down. Trying to figure out how to play these Ax blind defense hands. I'm a meathead arrrghhhhpittsnogle.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Autoreraise pf? Sometimes I call vs. unknown and try to do dumb things on the turn.

Flop: (4 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Figured I'd check him out here. He just called so I plan on bet/folding the turn.

Turn: (4 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

He donked, I thought he was weak so I raised, I don't know if I like it, maybe fold turn, it feels gross tho.

River: (8 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Yeah.

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 04-10-2006, 04:51 PM

Default Re: I got donked

I fold flop here a lot.

True
Old 04-10-2006, 04:52 PM

i usually 3-bet these preflop because i feel like i can play them better with the initiative.

but you didnt, whatever. so you raised the flop. fold when he donks the turn. dont fight so hard for these small pots.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:55 PM

lol I'd be lying if I said I haven't done the same thing a lot.

Generally it's bad without a Tag read, especially at 2/4.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:01 PM

Either reraise PF, or fold the flop.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:04 PM

J. Stew, hands like these are why I wound up blowing $1,000 trying to get a $800 Martins Poker bonus.

For a month, I kept saying to myself, "This fool's trying to pull one over on me! RAISE! check RAISE!

Every tenth time of so, I'd be right. And the downward spiral continues.

Now I'll do this once in a blue moon with a good read, but my straight stealing days are over.

...Until I get to $5/$10.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:06 PM

I 3-bet this PF every day of the week. (How many BB did he sit down with? If ~12 or less, he's probably the typical hit 'n' runner trying to LAG his way into cash. IT WORKX D00D!!1!!11)

If he then insists on donking the flop, I often fold, or at most call and fold the turn UI.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:30 PM

On the flop you're behind to any pair, most other aces, flush draws, and straight draws. There's 5sb in the pot. Fold and pick your fight with him somewhere better.

At 2/4 you're going to make most of your money by getting paid off when you have a hand, not by putting in bets when you don't.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:13 PM

I like a 3-bet PF here as well, it definitely helps having initiative and may even discourage villain from stealing your blinds in the future. Given your call, I don't mind the flop-raise. You're still ahead of a decent range of his hands. Once he donks that turn though, fold it.