Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2006, 12:12 AM

Default AK with super deep stacks in 11r.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG+1 (t34910)
MP1 (t12665)
MP2 (t7420)
MP3 (t10250)
CO (t11075)
Button (t38369)
SB (t2825)
BB (t31845)
Hero (t62585)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t655</font>, UTG+1 calls t655, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t4800</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>,

Okay, I had a great table first hour and was able to amass a huge stack. The guy right behind me that called my raise had been calling almost all my raises and I give him a huge range of hands. The next player had just been moved to the table and we hadn't really seen much from him but I was informed from a friend that he won the 109r the other day, so I have to assume he's a decent thinking player.

I had been very very active since the rebuy period, so I thought he could have a bit of a wider range that would be expected here. I also think that the overbet raise is less likely to be AA or KK and I thought there was a chance he could fold a TT there for the rest of his stack (but not likely). For those reasons I chose to push.

Thoughts? What would you guys do?
Old 04-06-2006, 12:18 AM

Default Re: AK with super deep stacks in 11r.

Well, I like pushing better than calling. Seems like it's going to be hard to get much good to happen just calling in this kind of situation, thanks to the old reverse implied odds. So I suppose the question is whether folding might be better still. The main thing that I'd be worried about is UTG+1 - MP is shallow enough that I think I agree that his range could be somewhat wide and you're not only going to get called by KK+ - but given your read it certainly seems like UTG+1's going to have a wide enough range that you can probably push somewhat safely, particularly since AA and KK are even more unlikely than usual. So I think this is probably good.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:20 AM

without reads I'm probably reluctantly folding (or reluctantly pushing), but with reads it looks pretty damn solid.
PS post more thx.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:23 AM

seems like you reasoned it out pretty well, with his stack size i think it is either push or fold for you. I think chances are he is calling with a PP like QQ or JJ maybe he also has AK?? i think with your stack size it is worth it to push even with the off chance that he does have AA or KK.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:24 AM

I agree with Funkii on all points. I think calling is the worst option. If he had something like 30k chips I might fold.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:29 AM

Tough one. What would he reraise 1/3 of his stack on with a 24BB bet? If he thought one of the two of you were laggy, he might bet with AA or KK. There are still 6 players to act. The range I think is AA,AK,KK so I would fold.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tough one. What would he reraise 1/3 of his stack on with a 24BB bet? If he thought one of the two of you were laggy, he might bet with AA or KK. There are still 6 players to act. The range I think is AA,AK,KK so I would fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's no way you can give him that tight of a range. Maybe QQ+, AK, but you definitely have to include QQ.

Also, I don't think that him viewing us as laggy tightens his range, I think it loosens it more than anything. He probably has to view us as laggy though with our huge stacks and how active I had been in the few hand he had been there.

Also, everyone, I agree that calling is just crazy. I think a main point to look at here too is that we'll still have 50,000 chips if we lose the pot at 100 200 blinds, lol. That's only 250 bbs [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].
Old 04-06-2006, 12:45 AM

I'm mucking this very fast.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, everyone, I agree that calling is just crazy. I think a main point to look at here too is that we'll still have 50,000 chips if we lose the pot at 100 200 blinds, lol. That's only 250 bbs [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Barring some kind of disaster with UTG+1, of course. This is a lot of why I think pushing is fine.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:54 AM

pretty sure i push here