Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2006, 04:29 PM

Default Choosing a college: Stanford vs. UCLA vs. Notre Dame

I guess I'm blessed in the first place that I have the opportunity to make this decision, but I've been mulling over this for a week and still haven't made much progress.

To start, I'm not receiving financial aid from any school (parents are well off enough to afford my undergrad, although I may be on my own after that). I plan on majoring in History and possibly going off to law school, although things change and I could definitely see myself in the field of business.

I'm sure you can tell from my handle that I'm a Bruin fan. I've been a fan since the '95 season and probably haven't missed a game in football or basketball since '98. I pretty much grew up with the Bruins. Although I didn't receive Regents or anything, I was accepted into the Honors college which means smaller classes, priority housing and priority for class registration. I also think out of the three locations (South Bend, Paloalto and Westwood) that UCLA's suits me the best.

As for Notre Dame, the whole spirit and family aspect totally appeals to me. Although I am only a nominal Catholic, everything I've heard about the atmosphere almost makes my spine tingle. Going to football games on Saturdays in an atmosphere like that would be something from my undergrad education that I'd never forget. The school isn't too shabby either, and has a great alumni network.

That being said, can I really turn down a school like Stanford for UCLA or Notre Dame? Everyone speaks of Stanford so highly. My dad went there (this probably got me in), and my sister currently goes there and they both love(d) it. Even my sister is going to have a talk with me about why I should go there, since she heard that I'm considering UCLA and Notre Dame. The thing is, other than its name and its reputation, nothing jumps out to me about Stanford. I've been there plenty of times and although the campus is beautiful, I've never felt mesmerized by it the way some people are. The education is first-class, but from what I understand undergrad isn't nearly as important as grad. anyway.

As for being a UCLA fan, I'm sure I could still follow the Bruins from Paloalto. I don't know if that's the case for South Bend.

Help me out. Am I stupid for not just going to Stanford in the first place? Thanks for any comments.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Choosing a college: Stanford vs. UCLA vs. Notre Dame

Don't rule out Cornell just yet.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Help me out. Am I stupid for not just going to Stanford in the first place? Thanks for any comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grasshopper, it sounds like you already know the answer to your question.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:33 PM

The fact that you made this post makes me wonder if Stanford has lowered their admissions requirements.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:34 PM

I would goto Stanford. That being said, go where YOU want to go. You will most likely get a better education at Stanford, but if you're a smart\motivated student(you seem like one), you will get a good education wherever you go.

On that note, the Bruins, what the [censored]?
Old 04-05-2006, 04:35 PM

I hear that Cornell>>>>>Umass.

Wait, what was the question?
Old 04-05-2006, 04:36 PM

I faced a similar decision. Got into Stanford, but got offered money elsewhere. The money wasn't a huge deal, but I wanted to make it easier on my parents. So I went elsewhere.

I think the best advice is to go where the other students are most like you. That said, I wish to Christ I had gone to Stanford. I think passing up on it is one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:38 PM

bruin,

Stanford is the clear choice here. If one of the other schools were offering you a free ride, then they would be in serious consideration. Otherwise, Stanford 100%. They are one of the few undergrad names (along w/ Harvard, MIT, a few others) that actually make a real difference in the future opportunies you will have.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:40 PM

clearly Stanford. there are only a couple other schools that are in the same league, and UCLA and Notre Dame are not on that list.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:41 PM

Choose Stanford if you like Smart asian people.
Choose Notre Dame if you like boring dorky people and bad weather.
Choose UCLA if you like LA, having fun, and the beach.