Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2006, 04:09 PM

Default Clueless Norwegians ask: Advice for trip to N.Y/Atlantic City?

Hi,

We are three amateur poker/chess players going to Atlantic City and New York this Easter. After some internal debate, Borgate was our choice for AC(mon-thursday), and some Manhattan hotel in NY(fri-sat).

1) What to do in NY to make the best of the 48 hours we have to our disposal?

2) Any recommendations for AC tournaments, Tropicana on tuesdays any good?

3) Where to eat, drink and party in NY?

4) Is there still outdoor chess in Washington square park?

Thanks in advance.

R.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Clueless Norwegians ask: Advice for trip to N.Y/Atlantic City?

[ QUOTE ]

4) Is there still outdoor chess in Washington square park?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. you can look in OOT for advice on NY food
Old 04-02-2006, 09:40 PM

The Hilton in AC is hosting no fee tournaments. If I were looking for tournaments, I would probably check them out (though I have never actually participated in them).

As for chess, you can always find a game with the hustlers in WSP, but you might also try Thompson Square park for chess as well.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:39 AM

Washington Square Park players will take your money unless you play at a Master level
Old 04-03-2006, 09:22 AM

WSP have Master players?

We are around master level, ranging from FIDE Elo 2090-2200, so it should be pretty interesting then. Much money at stake?
Old 04-03-2006, 09:31 AM

Hi--

I'm a US master now--but I was beating half the hustlers when I was a US Candidate Master. Some are weaker than others.

And, the stakes aren't too high; 5-10 dollars (but you can always find someone to give you action for more if that's your thing).

Best of Luck.

--AD
Old 04-03-2006, 11:11 AM

If the weather is bad, there is a chess club a couple of blocks away on Thompson street. If the weather is nice, the tables in Washington Sq. Park should be loaded.

Hard to make much money there. I find they quit you after one game if you beat them. They'll keep playing if they beat you, though.

Borgata is the best choice in AC...
Old 04-03-2006, 11:18 AM

borgota is the best place to stay, not the best place to play. the juice for tournaments is huge at the borg, try the hilton they have free 100 dollar tournaments.
i was at ceasars palace's poker room for the first time this saturday, it was loaded with loose tables and i walked with about 5 buy ins at the 1-2 nl tables. the hilton also has a nice crowd of regulars that empty their pockets out on the cash game tables.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:27 PM

on 4) the choices are endless, but if you don't want to look too touristy I'd have sushi at Blue Ribbon (get there earlier than you want to eat - they don't take reservations and it's up to an hour wait if you show at like 7:30-8 o'clock). If you aren't into sushi this place called Esperanto in E. Village on Avenue C has pretty good cheap Brazilian and caprinhas. Also, if you do brunch for God's sake go to Cafe Habana and have the corn!!

If you are going out and in your 20-30s I'd go to the Lower East Side or East/West Village areas - Meatpacking is not bad too but more touristy/expensive - still plenty of decent places (maybe have a drink at Pastis, go across the street to One/Hotel Gansevoort then over to the bar across from Pastis which has nice outdoor deck - also if it's nice out the Maritime Hotel has a decent scene. If you want something cheaper, then def. slum it in the LES or E. Village where there are a million places. Just walk up and down Orchard, Rivington etc. and you'll find something (Lorelay for good German beer is always nice!!)
Old 04-03-2006, 12:34 PM

There are lots of tournaments in AC, almost all NLHE.I posted this guide to to AC tournaments

Cash games are mostly no limit holem and limit holdem and 7c stud.

The Borgata is a good choice to stay in AC. It is a few kilometers from most of the places along the boardwalk. If you don't have a car, you need to take cabs or something. You hcan walk along the boardwalk during the day, but you would probably not survive a walk from the Borgata to the boardwalk.

There is a lot to do in NYC, but you need to know where to go. I reccomend the British series of "rough guide" books volumes on the USA and NYC.