Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2006, 07:49 AM

Default AKo preflop against possible steal

SB is LAG (a good LAG) and has been bullying the tables with raises now and then. He likes to punish cold-callers and I saw this as an attempt to sandwich MP2 and Button. I didn't put him on aces or kings, probably TT-QQ or AK-AQ, and wanted to see how he reacts to strength. Comments? Is this OK at NL $100? Don't play much ring games (only tournaments) and started off a new NL career at the $50-tables recently.

Oh... And I haven't done anything out of line at the table so far.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.5 BB (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP3 ($68.57)
CO ($62.37)
Button ($179.70)
<font color="red">SB ($169.89)</font>
BB ($84.61)
UTG ($94.66)
UTG+1 ($114.20)
<font color="red">Hero ($115.90)</font>
MP1 ($18.50)
<font color="red">MP2 ($34.70)</font>

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="red">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $1, <font color="red">Hero raises to $5</font>, 1 fold, MP2 calls $5, 2 folds, Button calls $5, <font color="red">SB (poster) raises to $24.5</font>, 1 fold, UTG+1 folds, Hero raises all-in for $110.5
Old 03-08-2006, 07:54 AM

Default Re: AKo preflop against possible steal

Fold.

A re-raise here is very often AA or KK.
Especially when he see a tight player raise and 2 other players call that raise.
If he's insane he has the hands you think he have. Otherwise he doesn't.
He might have QQ but probably not JJ or worse considering he has poor position and all.

Why take the risk when you are almost dead to AA and in big trouble against KK?
Old 03-08-2006, 08:01 AM

yes this re raise screams strength to me, i would fold to his re raise !
Old 03-08-2006, 08:25 AM

Sorry, i don't like it. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

you bet ~110 into a ~40 pot holding AKo. you want 3 players to fold here and the last one is representing AA or KK. If you get called you are likely well beaten by AA or KK, if he will call with any of the hands you put him on you are a slight dog to the pairs, tied to AK and only a favourite against AQ. I figure you expect he will fold these hands to the push. Also, you said you were pushing 'to see how he reacts to strength' so really your read didn't go as far as knowing that he would fold here. Online players come and go quickly so you are putting your whole stack at risk for information you might never get the chance to recoup on.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes this re raise screams strength to me, i would fold to his re raise !

[/ QUOTE ]

Mind you, he has pulled this move a couple of times before and a re-raise from a LAG isn't always AA or KK, not even from OOP. Also, since I have AK, we have narrowed down the possibility of him having the hands I fear. Against a tight player, I'd fold this everytime.

I don't fear MP that much since his stack is small and the second limper could have any hand. It's true I'm a slight dog against QQ or JJ, but these are hands he might lay down. Would you call a tight player who has raised from early position and then pushed to a re-raise?

If I don't put him on AA or KK, why lay down the hand? I want him to stop bullying the table and with me pushing all-in, there's a big chance he puts me on AA or KK. Fold everything but AA/KK against a LAG and he'll continue picking up pots with his raises, right?