Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2006, 05:37 PM

Default 66 turn fold

I'm pretty sure this is standard, but I made up my mind when he capped that I'd call down unless an ace or king hit. Just as I have a bigger 3betting range here, he likely has a bigger capping range, so I wanted to show the hand down. But what he did here probably saved me a bet because there is no way I'm good here right?

BTW, no reads since this is my first hand at the table.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.70 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.70 BB
Old 03-06-2006, 05:40 PM

Default Re: 66 turn fold

Call the pre-flop raise.

Fold the flop.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:43 PM

So you want me let BB call with QJ or JT for one bet? If MP1 does have AK or AQ, by 3betting I greatly increase my chances of winning this pot. I thought preflop was pretty standard.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you want me let BB call with QJ or JT for one bet? If MP1 does have AK or AQ, by 3betting I greatly increase my chances of winning this pot. I thought preflop was pretty standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

3-bet is good, if we are certain this will be heads up.

I'm raising the flop as well, probably folding to a 3-bet unless he will 3-bet with overs often.

- Zach
Old 03-06-2006, 06:20 PM

paulie:

[ QUOTE ]
If MP1 does have AK or AQ, by 3betting I greatly increase my chances of winning this pot. I thought preflop was pretty standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know 3-betting with smallish/mediumish pocket pairs is very popular on these boards...I know I do it quite a bit....but I do like to have some idea of the pfr range...and know that the blinds are likely to go away.

--Rico
Old 03-06-2006, 06:33 PM

Preflop: Others have probably said this, but I don't really like the three-bet here without reads as to MP1's likely range and the looseness/tightness of the blinds. Without a read, I'm probably folding. Personally, I think the small-pair isolation play, although very useful at times, is way overused (especially in full ring games). There's a section on this in Feeney's book that I think is right on.

Post-flop: Other than flopping a set or some sort of OESD, this is about as good of a flop as you're likely to get. So, without reads my default would be to raise the flop, probably take a free card if I get one on the turn and then call most river bets.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call the pre-flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Give me a few more callers and a cold-call is ok, but with one EP raiser I'm either laying it down or trying to get this pot heads up with a 3-bet. Leaning much more toward folding.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Others have probably said this, but I don't really like the three-bet here without reads as to MP1's likely range and the looseness/tightness of the blinds. Without a read, I'm probably folding. Personally, I think the small-pair isolation play, although very useful at times, is way overused (especially in full ring games). There's a section on this in Feeney's book that I think is right on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you miss that I posted?
Old 03-06-2006, 07:11 PM

Sorry, totally whiffed on the fact that you posted.

Given that you posted and, therefore, it's quite possible that the original raiser (like many of us) may be raising a little light, I think I'd lean towards 3-betting myself as well. Plus, if you get to showdown and people see you three-bet 66 pre-flop, you might get a little more action than normal later on in the session.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:33 PM

Just call preflop. You don't even have a read and you are getting good odds for set value. This guy could be 3.3/2.9/4 for all you know. He might only raise kings and queens and always limping [censored] aces for all you know. No reason to make a marginal play in your first hand at the table.

As you played the hand, I really do like betting the turn. I don't think he will check-raise that often on a board this dry. I think if the board was like K T 2, check-raising would be more likely, but here he might have just bricked his AQ and you can bet/fold. You didn't need him to fold that often for this bet to work.