Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 10:02 AM

Default NL25 flopped flush, villain wants to play,turn pairs board, linecheck

Ok, I flop a small flush in the small blind and I am up against a crowd. How is my line?

<u>Reads:</u> The general game at the table is loose and very juicy. The main villain has been around for ~40 hands or so and he has done nothing special so far. His preflop hand selection should be reasonable or close to it, he did not come for a complete gamble, and wether or not heīs a good player I donīt know. Havenīt seen him in any big hands so far.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 ($24.65)
CO ($11.35)
Button ($20.35)
Hero ($35.65)
BB ($22.45)
UTG ($14.10)
UTG+1 ($22.30)
MP1 ($23.95)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls $0.25, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.65</font>, BB calls $0.65, UTG calls $0.65, UTG+1 folds, Button folds.

Turn: ($3.20) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.25</font>, BB calls $2.25, UTG folds.

River: ($7.70) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $8.25</font>, Hero calls $8.25.

Final Pot: $24.20
Old 11-14-2007, 10:17 AM

Default Re: NL25 flopped flush, villain wants to play,turn pairs board, linecheck

Main villain is BB in a limped pot, his preflop range is any two cards.

Bet more on the flop, anyone with the Qh is going to chase, get value from them. I bet full pot because it looks like you are afraid of the flush. Half pot gives villains to much reason to chase with any part of the board

I lead this river for about 4.00 and fold if I get raised. A lot of hands you beat will call a bet but will check behind given the opportunity. Plus did you really want to make a tough decision?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:18 AM

Default Re: NL25 flopped flush, villain wants to play,turn pairs board, linecheck

Bet more on the flop.

b/f river.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:19 AM

Default Re: NL25 flopped flush, villain wants to play,turn pairs board, linech

[ QUOTE ]
Bet more on the flop.

b/f river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-14-2007, 10:28 AM

What does the BB checking PF and calling down tell you?
To me he's got 2 pair/QJ/slighty better flush, but not the nuts.
Even a flopped nutflush has to raise at some point here.

I'd bet harder into the flop ($1), or even a checkraise.
I really don't want to see a turn/river with so many involved,
knowing someone has a better FD.

The river all in means he has a strong non-flush (set/2pair), or a missed NFD
and thinks you are bluffing/semibluffing..
Or he's got a boat/nutflush and puts you on a small flush where you have to call.

I'd have a hard time getting away from this also..
of course, you could fold PF [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus did you really want to make a tough decision?

[/ QUOTE ]

Iīm still adopting to NL25. People all say itīs the same as NL10, but as I see it big bets mean big hands a lot more. So, no, I didnīt want to make a tough decision, I just forgot (again) that this may get tough, because at NL10 which I am still used to any two pair and trip T will bet like that, plus there were bluffs by default once someone checked, plus BIG hands got underbet ("I want callers"), so calling was definitely +EV back there.

Well, Iīm gonna learn that soon.

Thanks to you all.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:23 AM

I fold this preflop, probably. If it was 4-5 or 78, I'd complete for sure. Bet $1 on the flop for value and for charging one diamond hands and sets to draw out on you. The turn's fine, but bet/fold the river. You're going to get called by hands that would probably check behind, and raised by better flushes (possibly) and FH's (definitely(
Old 11-14-2007, 11:54 AM

i complete the blind with this hand if the table is quite juicy, as you say.

definitely bet more on flop, Qh and Jh will chase.

River i definitely b/f. He calls with 2 pair or 3 tens a lot of the time, and u can fold to a raise. chekcing allows him to make this big bet which makes your decision v. tough.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:17 PM

I think I can see a river fold here. Only hands you beat are trips. There are enough cards in the playing zone. Its close if you ever win here 37% of the time to make the crying call.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:47 PM

I think the check on the river killed you in terms of getting any more reads out of your opponent. I think you should lead out the river with a $4 bet and fold to any raises.

I also wonder why people expect to see a boat here? This is a limping big blind in a 5 way pot. We are not going to see an AA, KK, or 1010 here unless this person is a complete donk. Also, we have one of the 4's, so seeing a 44 is also unlikely (ignoring the fact that the villian's play does not go in line with this hand). Perhaps we see a K10 or to a lesser extent 10 4 as this is in the big blind's range.

So that leaves us with other flush possibilities. There are 4 flushes that beat us in a Q,J,9,8. Again, being the big blind, his range includes any combination of suited combos that contain these cards. This is where the river bet is so valuable. On a scary board like this, you know your opponent more than likely has you beat if they re-raised your bet. By not betting, you are going to get bet into by not only higher flushes, but at this limit, a more broad range of hands. They may see your check as a sign of weakness (missed the flush with the Q) and bet into you with 2 pair or a 3 of a kind.

So I think the biggest bit of advice that you can take from this is to bet the river in these situations. It doesn't leave you in a spot like this where you don't know what to put your opponent on.