Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 01:37 PM

Default NL50 150BBs deep - Interesting river situation

Villain has been fairly active raising from LP. He stacked me once when he raised 88 from button, called my rr from SB, flopped quads and stacked my QQ.

The following hand is also worth noting in that he can check a good hand on the river.

Party Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

SB: $77.29
Hero (BB): $100.13
UTG: $50
CO: $68.52
BTN: $65.02

Pre-Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
3 folds, <font color="red">SB raises to $2</font>, Hero calls $1.50

Flop: ($4) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2

Turn: ($8) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $5</font>, SB calls $5

River: ($18) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, Hero checks

Results: $18 Pot ($0.90 Rake)
SB showed 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (a flush, Ace high) and WON $17.10 (+$8.10 NET)
Hero mucked T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (two pairs, Kings and Threes) and LOST (-$9 NET)

My image is tight. Was planning on folding to a turn c/r, so when he calls I thought his most likely hand was AK, AxQspade AxJspade, although he could have a boat and be letting me bet it for him.

We both have about $50 behind on river. I'm not sure he'll call a shove on river with just a pair of aces, but also, if I bet less and he c/r, I'm almost surely beaten, but would be getting sick odds to call.

Party Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

CO: $82.64
Hero (BTN): $79.70
SB: $37.68
BB: $72.07
UTG: $71.16

Pre-Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
UTG folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $2</font>, Hero calls $2, 2 folds

Flop: ($4.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">CO bets $2</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $8.50</font>, CO calls $6.50

Turn: ($21.75) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
CO checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $14</font>, CO calls $14

River: ($49.75) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
CO checks, Hero???

So how much do you bet on river? And are you calling a c/r?
Old 11-11-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Re: NL50 150BBs deep - Interesting river situation

I often chicken out and check behind on the river and that is obviously awful against this opponent. Why not bet $20 and fold to a raise? I doubt he is bluff raising ever.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:31 PM

Hand 1: Anyone else 3bet him IP pf? As you played it, I reraise him on the flop, it looks to me like he's continuation betting.

Hand 2: I feel like he has a hand like AQ. I really don't think he's going for a river c/r. I'd bet like 1/2 pot. If he shoves, that makes you call about 32 in a pot of over 120. I think we'd have to call, but not be very happy abou it.

IMO betting 20 screams "I have a marginal hand, please don't raise me" the way you played this hand
Old 11-11-2007, 02:43 PM

I'd say take him to value town on the riv for some commiting sort of value (30ish) since he's going to have 2 pr alot of the time. If he played a flush like that nh villian.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:49 PM

Flushes are a relatively small part of his range here, given his play preflop and on the flop. I value bet $25 and call a raise, expecting to see AQ/AJ a good percentage of the time. With both the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the board, I don't expect many flushes or boats.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:00 PM

On the first hand i would raise the flop, make it $7. Otherwise, you played it fine. Maybe bet a little bit more on the turn.

On the 2nd hand i dont think he's check raising, i think he's hoping for a cheap showdown and using his image from the first hand to do this, as you've seen him check monsters on the end. I would bet around $27.50 into this pot. Betting less just looks weak. Here he's calling with AK AJ and AQ. If he shoves, i feel sick but call because of odds.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:41 PM

Didn't fancy 3-betting him this time. He showed that he's willing to call a rr with 88, and part of the reason for a reraise with 64s is fold equity, which I didn't think I had much of.

I disagree that betting 20 on river screams 'I have a marginal hand' as I'm unlikely to have a marginal hand after raising flop and betting turn. I either have a strong hand or air.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't fancy 3-betting him this time. He showed that he's willing to call a rr with 88, and part of the reason for a reraise with 64s is fold equity, which I didn't think I had much of.

I disagree that betting 20 on river screams 'I have a marginal hand' as I'm unlikely to have a marginal hand after raising flop and betting turn. I either have a strong hand or air.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are unlikely to bet 1/2 pot with air when it looks like he's calling. i think it's shove or nothing, and i think a shove might get paid here.

i quite like villains river check in the 1st hand fwiw.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:50 PM

I say fold preflop.
As played, bet 25-30 on river and call if raised cos of the odds