Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2006, 08:38 PM

Default ($16) Stud H/L Turbo SnG Aces up, Bet 7th?

Donking around, I don't normally play stud so this hand could be very easy, if I left out any pertinent information let me know... I think with seat 3 just calling 6th I should probably bet, but meh...

Tournament - 7 Card Stud High-Low - Level V (100/200), Ante 15, Bring-In 25 (hand converter)

Hero: 1,982
Seat 2: 2,374
Seat 3: 2,363
Seat 4: 1,459
Seat 5: 1,286
Seat 7: 1,387
Seat 8: 1,149

3rd Street - (1.05 SB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.05 SB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (3.03 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (7.03 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

River - (10.03 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___[b] ?????
Old 03-05-2006, 08:44 PM

Default Re: ($16) Stud H/L Turbo SnG Aces up, Bet 7th?

fold 3rd
4-6 are standard
bet/call 7th

This is a really bad hand on 3rd, if you were to play it at all, which I don't recommend, raise 3rd and try to just steal the antes with your ace.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is a really bad hand on 3rd

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you, but like I said in the OP I suck at stud [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2006, 09:30 PM

Yeah, fold 3rd

4th-6th are good because you have really no reason to believe As up is not good for the high hand and people who play stud8 sngs are much worse than cash game players so you are going to basically see a wide range of hands at showdown that you crush with As & 6s.

I try check call 7th because I am a vag. The problem with this though is if the 3 seat bets and the 7 seat raises they may be jamming lows and other junk to knock out your hand because they know you cant call two on the end, but I am pretty sure check-call is your only option esp in a tournament like this where you have a limited number of chips.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:10 AM

Fold third, check river.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:19 AM

Third is a fold. A case can be made for raising, especially in a tournament (Hint: you're not looking for action with this POS), but limping is pretty awful. I'd check the river. Betting is more attractive in high-only, I think, but I think that if you get called here, it is by either a low hand or someone who has you beaten for high. There isn't much value in betting.

Always nice seeing other mods poke their heads in here, even if I don't know who the hell they are. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2006, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Third is a fold. A case can be made for raising, especially in a tournament (Hint: you're not looking for action with this POS), but limping is pretty awful. I'd check the river. Betting is more attractive in high-only, I think, but I think that if you get called here, it is by either a low hand or someone who has you beaten for high. There isn't much value in betting.

Always nice seeing other mods poke their heads in here, even if I don't know who the hell they are. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just playing a low buyin sng for the hell of it, bored with NLHE... I played this hand third because the tournament is turbo and I can't wait for wired pairs or trips or 3flush/3straights... this hand is for sure a muck in a cash game but I was investing 25 chips to try to get lucky. The table was very loose passive I didn't expect a complete behind very often. Of course that's the argument for betting 7th.

Results: River checked around and I scooped.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I played this hand third because the tournament is turbo and I can't wait for wired pairs or trips or 3flush/3straights

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, you can and should.
[ QUOTE ]
... this hand is for sure a muck in a cash game but I was investing 25 chips to try to get lucky. The table was very loose passive I didn't expect a complete behind very often. Of course that's the argument for betting 7th.

[/ QUOTE ]
This hand is for sure a muck in any game. It has absolutely no value whatsoever except that with your ace doorcard you may possibly steal the antes if you raise. However, here is the problem with that. If the antes are large, then you will be called too often to make raising profitable. If the antes are small, then stealing isn't worth it.

Also, what exactly do you mean when you say "get lucky?" "Get lucky" implies that there is a card you can catch on fourth that will make you a big favorite in the pot. There are a grand total of 0 cards that you can catch that will do this for you. If you catch an ace and bet you will either win the pot immediately, be called by someone who is about even money with you, or be called by someone who has you crushed (but they probably won't raise because they won't know that you don't have trips).
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well in that case, you obviously played the hand perfectly except that you should have bet the river.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well in that case, you obviously played the hand perfectly except that you should have bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow calm down, I know I'm terrible at stud, that's why I'm posting, I was explaining my reasoning which I now know to be wrong.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow calm down, I know I'm terrible at stud, that's why I'm posting, I was explaining my reasoning which I now know to be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
I apologize if I came off as too harsh. I didn't intend to offend.