Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Overcards OOP

Hand: (UTG+1 seems a standard player, not too loose)

Party 0.5/1
6 players
Hero UTG: Ah Jd
Hero raises, UTG+1 3-bets, 4 folds, Hero calls

Flop 7s 7c 9s
???

I have discussed this hand with a fellow 2p2 person, and we kind of disagree.

I think check/folding is the only good line here, since:[*] Betting/??? is not good, as villain would raise with his good hands and call with all other hands. We would have a hard time again on the turn. [*] Check/calling seems horrible[*] Check/raising could do this, but we would have to bet the turn again, and since he 3-bets he probably has us beat. He will also have good odds on the turn to call, and most opponents at this level will make that call.[*] Check/folding is the only line left.

What do you think?
Old 10-29-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Overcards OOP

If you have backdoor spades or something you can maybe take one off. It's fine to checkfold in this spot though; you don't beat anything and no outs make you feel great about your hand.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:36 PM

scenario 1: you have the best hand, some people will 3bet AT or KQ in this spot, but most Taggish players wont. In this case, you want to c/c to showdown if he will keep betting for you.

scenario 2: he has TT/88/66-22. Not all pairs will be in a taggish players range. In this case, you want to peel the flop and fold turn if you miss.

scenario 3: you are beat by AK/AQ/JJ/QQ/KK. All of these hands are in any tags range and you do not have odds to spike your 3 outer.

scenario 4: you are drawing dead/almost dead vs AA/99/77. You want to fold. AA and 99 are in anybody's range, usually 77 is too.

All in all, there are a ton of hand combos that have you drawing to 3 outs or less and folding is reasonable here. I tend to peel in this spot (probably more than I should) because often times your opponents range is wider than I listed above.

If you respect your opponents range, then you should fold.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:46 PM

I peel the flop and fold the turn - always wonderded if this is good.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
scenario 3: you are beat by AK/AQ/JJ/QQ/KK. All of these hands are in any tags range and you do not have odds to spike your 3 outer.

[/ QUOTE ]

With chop outs