Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 01:04 AM

Default Bankroll swings in this game

Hi, I'm a poker player who prefers every other game other than limit hold 'em.

I think I use a pretty good system. At a 5/10 stakes table, is buying in 250 enough? I usually go down around 100 and just come back up to around 250 again. My problem seems to be making a profit and not just breaking even over and over again. Seriously, I play PL Omaha High, Limit Omaha8, NLHE and 7studhilo and either I lose a lot or win so many chips.

Thanks
Old 10-21-2007, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Bankroll swings in this game

Beginners forum maybe a better spot for this question. You are leaving out if you are talking live, online, or what are you trying to get at? Your analysis of win a lot or lose a lot doesn't make much sense either.

The strategy is bet big win big.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Beginners forum maybe a better spot for this question. You are leaving out if you are talking live, online, or what are you trying to get at? Your analysis of win a lot or lose a lot doesn't make much sense either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, I'm not a beginner at this game - I've read the chapter in SS2 and know the mathematics of this game.

I'm talking online play.

What I was trying to say was that whenever I sit down at a ring game, around 8-10 handed, with 250 chips, that I often lose most of it and then recoup my losses but end up with just around 250 chips again.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, I'm not a beginner at this game - I've read the chapter in SS2 and know the mathematics of this game.

I'm talking online play.

What I was trying to say was that whenever I sit down at a ring game, around 8-10 handed, with 250 chips, that I often lose most of it and then recoup my losses but end up with just around 250 chips again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frankly, if you're looking at buy ins and variance within a session this way, your question belongs in the beginner's forum. James, can you move this?
Old 10-21-2007, 12:03 PM

my suggestion.
1) find a rakeback site, at breakeven, rakeback can be alot compare to your bankroll.
2) if you don't usually have the best hand at the showdown, cut all the game that is not NL.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:03 PM

As a general rule you should have at least 25 buy-ins for your level.

The advice given on this site (raising 22 utg, 67s OTB, etc) assumes that effective stacks are 100bb.

Whatever level you play, you should buy in full.