Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Do I dare go up a limit?

I have been playing Sng at $1.20 buyins.
18/11/2.19, 600 tournaments played.
9 players ROI 28%
18 players ROI 27%
45 players ROI 31%

ITM 31% with 8% 1st, 8% 2nd & 6% 3rd.

I now have 100 buyins for the $5.50 Sngs.

Will I see a drastic change in the level of competition at this level?
Should I play the 9, 18, 27 or 45 player tables?
Old 10-21-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Do I dare go up a limit?

$1 --> $5 isn't a drastic change, maybe a slight change,...they're all still pretty bad

100 buy ins is more thanenough to AT LEAST give it a shot, if it doesn't go well, drop down the the $1's again until you feel like giving it a shot again.

Play whatever tables your comfortable with, but some would suggest sticking to one of them (ex. ONLY the 9-person) cuz strategy should be slightly different depending on player #.

You can switch between them from time to time, but I wouldn't suggest multi-tabling two different types of player-size tourneys.

chrismystero
Old 10-21-2007, 10:05 PM

Don't think about it another second - go play a few and pretend you're still at the $1 level.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:03 AM

Move up if you feel like the players are that much better just move back down until you're ready.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:36 AM

I definitely recommend moving up. Set a stop-loss, perhaps $200, and if you lose that much move back down to rebuild your bankroll, skills, and confidence. Carefully review your play whether or not you hit the stop-loss. The games will be tougher at the $5 level as there are fewer completely hopeless players, but the rake will drop from 17% of your buy-in to 9% of the buy-in, which balances some of the increase in skill. Even if that weren't the case, it would be time to test yourself at the next level.

I would avoid the 45 player tournaments at first for bankroll reasons, although you can play a few for fun or to try them out. While your ROI was slightly higher in the 45 player tournaments at the $1.20 level, I would expect it to be even higher if your MTT game were solid. Even if you played equal numbers of each type, your ROI figures are probably the least reliable for the 5 table SNGs, and you might not be a solid winning player at the $5.50 level if you play 45 player SNGs now.

The standard deviation per tournament is higher in 45 player SNGs. Assuming equal distributions of finishes, it is 2.8 buy-ins rather than 1.6 for one table torunaments. That means if your ROI is the same in both games, it takes about 3 (=(2.8/1.6)^2) times as many tournaments to determine whether you are a winning player, and your required bankroll is 3 times as large. The same ROI may let you play $5 single table tournaments safely with 50 buy-ins while you can't safely play 5 table tournaments with 100 buy-ins.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:21 AM

OP,

I started off playing that small back in the day. I didn't really notice players being any better until the 30+3 and 40+4 SNG level. Even then it depends on your table.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:45 AM

Default Thanks all for the good feedback.

Very nice information for me to consider. How about the 3 table 27 player tables. Is that a happy medium to try and what would the standard deviation do to a 100 buyins BR?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Thanks all for the good feedback.

It's reasonable to try the 3 table SNGs before the 5 table SNGs.

The bankroll you need depends on your ROI, your standard deviation, and your personal risk tolerance. I can't tell you what your ROI or risk tolerance are. However, a consistent way to compare advantage gambles is to compute

comfort = bankroll * win rate / (standard deviation^2)

Most people are happy with a comfort level between 2 (aggressive) and 4 (conservative. One meaning of the comfort value is that your risk of ruin, assuming you stay at that level without moving up or withdrawing (or learning), is about e^(-2 * comfort) ~ 1/7^comfort.

For example, if you have a ROI of 20% = 0.2 buyins with a standard deviation of 1.7 buy-ins in one table SNGs, then your comfort level at 100 buy-ins is 100 * 0.2 / (1.7^2) = 6.9, which means you should be quite safe. If you have a ROI of 20% with a standard deviation of 2.5 buy-ins in 3 table SNGs, your comfort level is 100 * 0.2 / 2.5^2 = 3.2, which might or might not be acceptable for you. You would also have a lower hourly rate than when you play 1 table tournaments, which tend to be faster. Normally, winning players have a higher ROI in larger tournaments, but that wasn't reflected in your results.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:28 PM

Do I dare? Do I dare?

Do I dare eat a peach?

I have heard the mermaid's singing, each to each

I do not think that they will sing to me.

Lit major out.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do I dare? Do I dare?

Do I dare eat a peach?

I have heard the mermaid's singing, each to each

I do not think that they will sing to me.

Lit major out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here endith the thread.