Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 02:23 PM

Default KQo EP 3/6 loose game.

First, how do people feel about our Hero limping with KQo EP after one/two limpers in a 3/6 loose game? Big offsuit cards usually do not do well.

Preflop (9 players): UTG folds, UTG+1 limps, Hero calls with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (suited I raise) CO and OTB call, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 players, 5 sb)

I like the flop since there was no raise preflop I felt that I had the best hand.

Checked to me and I bet, OTB and BB call (they are starting to fold to my bets).

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players, 4 bb)

BB checks, Hero bets, BB calls.

River: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players, 6 bb)

BB bets, Hero calls.

Standard?
Old 10-22-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: KQo EP 3/6 loose game.

raise pf!

-for value. KQo wins more than it's fair share in these loose games. big hands deserve big pots.

-to minimize the field. KQo fares better against fewer opponents. you might get rid of a blind(or two) and this all adds up to more ways for your KQo to win at showdown.

-you might buy the button. having absolute position adds value to any holding and this situation is no different.

-free card potential. this is a lesser advantage, but when evaluating the sum of all parts it had might as well be considered.

-most importantly: raising is fun!

postflop is okay without a read.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:28 PM

Thanks James. I used to raise with KQo if there was not a rasie in front of me - I must be on tilt.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:48 PM

grunch

Raise preflop. These guys suck; your hand is good. Make them pay you.

As played fine until the river. I would raise that. You're going to get shown lots of stuff there that you beat.

non grunch edit:

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks James. I used to raise with KQo if there was not a rasie in front of me - I must be on tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damnit, three. We talked about this. Oh, and those players folding to your bets is generally a bad thing. You can't win their money if they don't chase you. Embrace the fish. They want to chase you. You want their money. Everyone wins.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:04 PM

The only reason I'll add my voice to the RAISE PF crowd is to add unmentioned reasons:

1) This is an easy hand to get off if the flop misses. (How many AKs continuation bets would you like to have back? Bets that you WON'T make when KQo whiffs?)
2) Slight broadening of your PF raise range keeps 'em guessing.
3) From early position, I really want to raise my weaker holdings particularly if I am getting players to fold. Knock out those A*rag holdings (sometimes) PF.

But I draw the line here. KJo or lower = limp or fold.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) This is an easy hand to get off if the flop misses. (How many AKs continuation bets would you like to have back? Bets that you WON'T make when KQo whiffs?)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really bizarre reason to raise.

-McGee
Old 10-22-2007, 04:09 PM

I agree with everyone else: Raising PF is by far the best move.

I might raise the river with a read. If the BB likes to C/R when he hits draws, then I raise, but if he donks, then just calling is fine since 89 got there (and he sucks for chasing the bottom end here given the board composition, which you should note for future reference, if it is indeed the case.)
Old 10-22-2007, 04:34 PM

I raise the river 1 time, but of late I seem to hate money so the call is probably the right play [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2007, 04:54 PM

FWIW - I told you guys that I am running bad but that is no excuse for not playing correctly - he had 89 - he would have made the bottom straight with a Q and me a FH.

Raise preflop - okay, sounds like I need to stay off tilt.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really bizarre reason to raise.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Aces, you are thinking too compartmentally and have, as a result, taken this PART of my answer out of context. The part of the answer that you failed to include in your quote was that the above material was just PART of the REASONS to raise and I was ADDING reasons to my list and the list of another poster.

ALL the reasons in BOTH lists apply and are to be read in CONJUNCTION, not DISJUNCTION. With that explanation in mind, do you still feel the same way?