Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 01:27 AM

Default 100K tourney help-draw and overpair

This hand happened to me in Bodog 100K tourney. What do you do?

I have 3600, rest of table between 1500-4500. Mostly tight table with not a lot of move making, but continuation bets have been challenged and there are a couple of players who will attack any checks. Blinds 75-150. I raise in EP with 88 to 350, pot preflop is 1200. Smaller raises have been successful in taking down the blinds. I haven’t splashed around a lot, but I haven’t been very tight either, I was caught raising with a connector but I have also shown down high pairs a couple of times. One LP caller and SB calls. LP hasn't played a lot of pots, but SB has been slightly LAG and SB has shown the ability to make a couple of moves OOP on garbage flops. LP has contested continuation bets and has called my raises a couple of times, they seem competent. Flop comes 567 rainbow. SB fires out 600. I do not respect this bet because of how SB has been playing and because of how me may view me, it is just my read of this person here, but he still has to worry about LP caller when firing out OOP. What do you do with your overpair and OESD sandwiched between these two people? LP stack preflop is 2600, SB stack preflop is 3600.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:50 AM

Default Re: 100K tourney help-draw and overpair

I was feeling good in my read of the SB, that he didn't have a great hand, and possibly air. However, there was still the slightest threat he had a set or two pair in which case I had almost no fold equity if I push, I am basically putting my tourney up on a draw, and there was still the LP player to worry about. Obviously calling is no good because it is a good part of my stack and the SB could continue to apply pressure on the turn, and I would still have to worry about LP. A normal raise would pot commit me. Folding with this kind of hand in the face of a LAG half pot bet seems weak.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:05 AM

If SB checks I lead with a c-bet, if he bets, I put in a raise of 2.5x his raise and if he flat calls shove any non-A or K turn.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:11 AM

Doubt if SB has air,betting into a 2handed raised pot w nothing seems like spewing,I'd think he's much more likely to have TP or some sort of draw,no way he's betting a set here,not with 2 people still to act.

Personally I push here.Like you said,if you 3bet you have 1500 left and I assume you are not folding that to a SB push? This is almost as good a flop for 88 as you could ask for. I'm going to assume you weren't playing the hand just for set value,so shove.

Know you worry about LP,but how likely is he to have you beat here? He'd rr pre w a big PP,I'd say he's more likely to have overs. If he has 99 or a set,c'est la vie.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If SB checks I lead with a c-bet, if he bets, I put in a raise of 2.5x his raise and if he flat calls shove any non-A or K turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

After my preflop raise I am down to 3250. If I raise 2.5x to 1500 I have cut my stack in half and inflated the pot to pot commit me, plus if he flat calls he has first shot to push, which he probably would on the turn given his LAG tendencies and the flop texture. Besides, I would rather push out LP if I can. I have to push or fold after his 600 bet on the flop.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Doubt if SB has air,betting into a 2handed raised pot w nothing seems like spewing,I'd think he's much more likely to have TP or some sort of draw,no way he's betting a set here,not with 2 people still to act.

Personally I push here.Like you said,if you 3bet you have 1500 left and I assume you are not folding that to a SB push? This is almost as good a flop for 88 as you could ask for. I'm going to assume you weren't playing the hand just for set value,so shove.

Know you worry about LP,but how likely is he to have you beat here? He'd rr pre w a big PP,I'd say he's more likely to have overs. If he has 99 or a set,c'est la vie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, my read at the time was that SB was just trying to buy the pot. It is also possible he was hoping I had an overpair and I would think he was just semibluffing and I would push while he was actually holding a set or straight, but I think he would probably just check raise which would actually pot commit both of us and pretty much guarantee him a call. Truthfully, I wasn't worried about LP. I felt SB was trying to buy the pot and LP bricked two high cards or had a small pocket pair.
If SB or LP woke up with a set, I still had 10 clean outs making me only a 3-2 dog to the river.