Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Blatant steal from button,spew or nice try sir...

Live $125 tourney. Middle stages,nowhere close to money yet.

The table is mostly fairly tight,not super live tight,but fairly tight. One exeption is BB,who is loose/weak,something I didn't take into consideration when I started this debacle. My rep should be TAG,altho today it's mostly just T. I've been completely and utterly carddead.

My stack is $4500,prob the shortest at the table,avg 10k,both limpers and BB around avg I'd guess.Blinds are 100/200-25 ante

The actual hand;

MP and CO limps,I'm button w 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Raise to 1200,BB calls,limpers fold.

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB thinks a little,then checks,I bet 1700,he calls

Turn 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] c/c

River A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

he checks.

Is there any hand he can have that he'll lay down to a shove here? In fact,the way he played this,what the heck can he have??

Should I have bet the turn? I just suddenly picked up a lot of outs and that's why I decided to check behind. Should I never have made this move in the first place? My thinking was I'm getting no cards,limpers have had a tendency to lay down to raises pre,so I thought it was a great chance to pick up an extra 1k.
Is my stack just not right for doing this? Would very much appreciate any comments here.Thought it was a good move at the time,but in hindsight I do see flaws in my thinking here.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Blatant steal from button,spew or nice try sir...

Raise...spew (why so little when you must get them to fold....why at all?)

He can have Qx, Tx, maybe even 77-99 what what you've described him as. J9 also?

Your problem is that you've only got 1600 left and he will be getting huge odds. Push and hope he's weak enough to fold. If not, you've only got yourself to blame really.

Why bet 1700 on turn when its more than half your stack?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:39 PM

Do you really think a 6x raise is too small? I see people make huge preflop raises all the time,especially in small stakes online,and it's always a mediocre hand. Wouldn't you try to play a big hand and a small hand the same way pre?
Old 10-22-2007, 03:21 AM

Your raise leaves anyone thinking of caling with more than 2.1-1. If one calls then obviously the next gets 3.1-1 and so on.

Whilst the table is being tight someone may well look you up which is awful news. The point is with a short stack of 4500 (half the average) you have no room for such a menouvre.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:25 AM

Your pf raise size is fine for stealing - HOWEVER, you are putting over 25% of your stack in a limped pot with 52s. This is not a good spot to try and pick up chips. At least have some sort of hand if you do this.

If you plan on raising pf here against limpers, I probably push any flop. That said, pick a better hand.