Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 04:18 PM

Default 88 mp

Hi - I had 8-8 in a loose to average live 6/12 game a few weeks ago. 4-6 to the flop and raised less than 50% of the time. The player (CO) seems to play better than most. But, he does not like to fold if he has any outs. Makes some loose preflop calls. I have not played with him enough to really get a good read. How this hand goes will give me some information.

Preflop action is I am 4 off the button with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I raise after 1 limper, action folds to CO player who calls, button and SB fold, BB calls, limper calls. 4 to the flop.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 players 7 sb) Giving me middle pair.

Checked to me and I bet, CO calls, BB and EP fold.

If he had a Q he would most likely raise me since that is how most of them play. Unless he has a bad kicker he would want the players behind him to fold - but he might just call with a Q. He most likely has an Ace or an under-pair and wants to see the turn.

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players, 4.5 bb)

I guess that this point I am done with the hand?

1) preflop raise too loose/aggressive?
2) is an Ace a good enough scare card to try a bluff?
3) recommended action?

Thanks
Old 10-17-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Re: 88 mp

Preflop raise is fine.

I would definitely fire again on this turn card -- but it's the last money I'm putting in the pot unless I spike an 8 on the river.

-McGee
Old 10-17-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop raise is fine.

I would definitely fire again on this turn card -- but it's the last money I'm putting in the pot unless I spike an 8 on the river.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that answer. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] We will see if anyone else goes for a bet here. Thanks

Check fold is inviting him to take the pot without a fight.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:37 PM

I think that you should bet the Ace with no intention of putting anymore money in the pot. The A is scary enough that I think you can blast through one guy often enough to make it worth doing. So bet/fold and check/fold the river.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop raise is fine.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-17-2007, 04:49 PM

I'm feeling much better about this hand since that is what I did. I bet the turn and he called. River was a Q and it went check, check - he had A-T and I am sure he was not folding.
Thanks
Old 10-17-2007, 04:58 PM

The only minor quibble I have is that I personally would just call with 88 PF. If the game is loose this raise isn't going to win the blinds, and unless you flop your set you're highly vulnerable to overs.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only minor quibble I have is that I personally would just call with 88 PF. If the game is loose this raise isn't going to win the blinds, and unless you flop your set you're highly vulnerable to overs.

[/ QUOTE ]

The count also doesn't raise TT UTG in an 8 handed game and has been lambasted for it already once today [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2007, 05:16 PM

you played the hand well. good job.

sometimes downswings can have you second-guessing even the most standard hands. it's good you are reevaluating things as a check up. good luck.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:18 PM

Was that today? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I guess I'm not as up on my lambastings as others are...