Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Poker Stars Deposit Match & FPPs

Greetings, I just began playing on line and deposited a whopping $25. I thought they were gonna match my deposit right then, but apparently they want to see 25x the deposit amount in FPPs before they honor it. How does that work? How do I earn FPPs? I think I have 25 now. If my money runs out before I get that many FPPs, do I lose the bonus? If I rebuy in (looking like I am gonna have to), will it continue?
Old 10-15-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Poker Stars Deposit Match & FPPs

Play within your bankroll, or you may never see that deposit matched anyways. There are tons of great posts out there about bankroll management, but a good rule of thumb is 20 buy-ins for cash games, 50 MTT entries, or 20 SNG entries (MTT & SNG may be a bit off).

So play within your bankroll, and get FPPs where you can.

http://www.pokerstars.com/fpp/#earn
Old 10-15-2007, 02:27 PM

It will continue for some period of time. But I wouldnt worry about it. You are likely going to lose more than 25 USD chasing it. I think you have to play at 0.25/0.5 LHE to even start making FPPs and even at 0.5/1 they come slow. OBV with a roll of 25 you cant play anything above 0.02/0.04 so ... nevermind the bonus yo.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:32 PM

The time-frame should be pretty liberal on picking up your bonus (like 4 months), so even if you just play .01/.02 NL with like $2.00 buy-ins, you would probably still make your deposit bonus, and perhaps even make some very light money (like enough for a happy meal) if you play squeaky.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:04 PM

625 FPPs to match $25 at .01/.02?

I just don't see that happening over a 4 month period. I played around 15k hands at NL2 and made under 100 FPPs. Honestly, for $25 it's not really worth aiming to make double that for the amount of FPPs you need to put in. Just play a lot of hands within your bankroll, and move up as your bankroll permits.

In order to safely make 625 FPPs while playing within your bankroll you're going to see a huge profit of a lot more than just $25. Grind those .01/.02 games until your bankroll allows you to play higher.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:23 PM

It will continue if you hve to re-buy
Old 10-15-2007, 04:39 PM

You are gonna kick yourself down the road for using your FD bonus on $25.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Greetings, I just began playing on line and deposited a whopping $25. I thought they were gonna match my deposit right then, but apparently they want to see 25x the deposit amount in FPPs before they honor it. How does that work? How do I earn FPPs? I think I have 25 now. If my money runs out before I get that many FPPs, do I lose the bonus? If I rebuy in (looking like I am gonna have to), will it continue?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very hard to get FPPs at micro level. For me, a $1.20 SNG = 1FPP. That's about 1 point per hour!

I'm not a cash player, but I do know that FPPs depend on the size of the rake, in other words, how big the pot is. Only an occasional pot at .01/.02 will hit that number if I remember right, so again, not more than a point or so per hour.

To make that many FPP playing starting at micros, you would have to move up quickly, or else multitable--and I wouldn't recommend that you start out doing that!

I got a $50 bonus for getting 500 FPP. But I had recently been in an auto accident, wasn't working, and had tons of time to do nothing buy play poker. Even then, I wound up mutitabling at the end to get my bonus. I probably lost about the same $50 by multitabling when I wasn't read for it.

There are lots of sitse with lots of different bonuses and rakeback deals, so there will plenty of time to chase all that down the road. For now, don't risk your bankroll to get your bonus.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are gonna kick yourself down the road for using your FD bonus on $25.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's an FD?

I did alright at the .02/.04 games and won a few SNGs, but in the end too many late nights at the computer with Jack and Mary Jane has hurt the bankroll. I looked for .01/.02 games, but couldn't find them. The lowest cash game I found was the .02/.04. I average about 2 hours a day in playing, bt I can see that it does not look like I will receive my bonus as I thought I would. I thought I'd put in 25 and get 50 in my bankroll. Silly me I guess. I'll re-deposit and keep chuggin.
Even though I have pretty much lost that initial deposit, I consider it a win because it did remind me what TAG play was again and I have been doing well at the live game circuit my crew & I have. I was running bad for awhile because I was just playing too tight. Now I just take their money and give it to you guys I guess.