Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Two similar AA hands, probably standard

Here are two similar hands I played this week that I didn't know what to do with. In both hands I had been at the table for about 20 hands and both players had similar stats, 55/5/2. They were both loose but hadn't gotten into any big pots.

On both of these hands I didn't know whether I should be trying to get all in or look for a spot to fold. What should my plan be after the minraise?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($174.55)
UTG ($95.50)
Hero ($140.60)
SB ($112.55)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, SB calls $3.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($9) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $16</font>

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($150.65)
CO ($100)
Button ($99.10)
SB ($101.70)
BB ($130.85)
UTG ($127.05)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, Button calls $4, SB calls $3.50, BB calls $3.

Flop: ($16) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $12</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $24</font>, SB folds, BB folds
Old 10-18-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Two similar AA hands, probably standard

in hand 1 sb could have a lot of draws and a lot of drawless air (looking to push you off of whiffed overs), plus some pairs up in there. Of that range

-draws will pay on this street and the river, but have a big equity shift in between. This probably means call and try to raise or bet a blank turn, call a moderate bet or checkthru otherwise.
-air will not put much (or any) more $$ in on the turn, but may be induced to bluff again if they see a free river, so the best plan would probably be to call and check through the turn.
-pairs will probably pay two streets but not three and will likely switch initiative on a later street. calling and checking through the turn is also good vs these hands.

So given that the flop is a call as opposed to a reraise because you stand to gain more from the pairs and bluffs and you'll get to look at an equity shift vs the draws before putting more money in.

--

in hand 2 you could very well be in a similar situation. button coldcalled the raise and then popped the flop, which looks as much like a set play on this board as it does him catching a piece (though it could be A9, T9, T8 or 98). Its unlikely that villain would play a flopped set this way, since calling would be stronger than raising in this spot and the number of draws is diminished. It looks more to me like a weak overpair trying to get hu without a turn plan. Villain is likely making a commitment decision here though, so the best plan may be to call and bet half of his stack out of tempo at him on the turn. TT-KK is going to hate that - especially if a blank undercard falls - and it could induce those hands to go to the felt with you right then and there. Also A9 may think it has you dominated instead of the other way around. smaller pps are likely just to fold there.