Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 10:49 AM

Default My First PokerEV graph, what does it all mean?

Downloaded this today and put my first 6,500 hands or so into and and got a graph. Havent got a clue what any of this means and just wanted to know if anyone could explain to me exaclty what it means. Also someone said I should ajust some of the filters in there and I woundered if there was a post which explains it in a bit more detail.

Anyway here goes:

bad? Good?

thanks

Steve
Old 10-18-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Re: My First PokerEV graph, what does it all mean?

It means you ran very hot.
The evgraphs don't really give any insight to whether you played good or not though.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Downloaded this today and put my first 6,500 hands or so into and and got a graph. Havent got a clue what any of this means and just wanted to know if anyone could explain to me exaclty what it means. Also someone said I should ajust some of the filters in there and I woundered if there was a post which explains it in a bit more detail.

Anyway here goes:

bad? Good?

thanks

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the bad thing is that you were calling/raising all-in when you were behind a lot. This means you are stacking off too light.

The good thing is it hasn't hurt you so far, but if you continue to play this way, you will be in big trouble.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:53 PM

From what I understand, the blue line is what you've won at showdown and the red line is what you should have won at showdown according to the odds. Green is your actual total winnings. Yes I agree that you have been running very hot.

I find that the histogram helps a bit as well to figure out on which street and in what size pot I am making the most mistakes.

Overall though, I find PokerEV to be a pretty much results oriented so the best way to determine how you played is to go over your sessions in PokerTracker in conjunction with Pokerstove and what you think your opponents' hand ranges are.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Overall though, I find PokerEV to be a pretty much results oriented

[/ QUOTE ]

For an individual hand I agree, but if there is that much of a discrepancy between expected and actuall all-in earnings over that number of hands, something is wrong.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Overall though, I find PokerEV to be a pretty much results oriented

[/ QUOTE ]
For an individual hand I agree, but if there is that much of a discrepancy between expected and actuall all-in earnings over that number of hands, something is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but I thought he only had 7000 hands. That is a very small sample size. I have had breakeven stretches of 20,000 hands in which PokerEV has said that I made +EV bets 58% of the time and my red line is way above the blue. That is a huge descrepancy over a much larger sample size. Over a long period of time actual all-ins would match Sklanksy Bucks, but I'm guessing that that would be over at least 500,000 hands or possibly more.

His graph is basically showing that his winnings should actually be the same number to the negative.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:38 PM

this is too sick
you are one of those play 70%, have no idea what's going on, but suckout alot.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:00 PM

This graph means you are winning a lot more than you should be, statistically speaking.