Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 09:16 AM

Default FTP 24K, deep in tourney, deep stack, AK oop

60 players left of 1200. villain and I are both top 8 in chips. villain has been my nemesis. has protected his blinds from all of my steals. seems like a solid player who likes to see flops and make calls, though its not my style, i respect his handreading. prior to this hand, villain seemed to have a hand pre when he would open 3x, id seen two other blinds (prior to this) resteal shove for 3x his initial raise and he called both times with 99 and TT. sorry no HH, at work.

my stack 155K, villain 120K.

blinds 2000/4000 ante 500, 9 players.

villain opens from MP to 12000, folds to hero in BB w AKs.

Should Hero RR: shove, pot, 3x (keep in mind villains tendencies); or call and see a flop?

Potting is like 45K, villains range is 88+ AJs+, if villain calls, hero is OOP w AK in a giant pot with about the size of pot left behind, auto go and go? Hero calling seems weak but keeps the pot smaller. Hero 3x seems likely to get called. And hero RR all in seems like a gross overpush (turns my hand somewhat face up) but puts a lot of pressure on villain and does not let him out play me from position.

There is more to this hand (i did not fold [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) but i would like to hear comments for this spot.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:15 AM

Default Re: FTP 24K, deep in tourney, deep stack, AK oop

Counting antes, you have like 23BB left. I'd say this is a good time for a go-n-go unless you hit.

You do not want to overpush pre.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:30 AM

Barry, unless your talking true BB's, effec stacks are 30 BB's here.

I think especially vs a guy you've been fighting with a go and go is appropriate here since he just might do something stupid pre and call/shove on you too wide.

Make it 46k pre and shove the flop unless you get a dream flop of like A22 or what not.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
60 players left of 1200. villain and I are both top 8 in chips. villain has been my nemesis. has protected his blinds from all of my steals. seems like a solid player who likes to see flops and make calls

[/ QUOTE ]
This makes me like a go n go since you get extra value from hands like AJ that would fold to an overshove. Still close though, he doesn't seem like the sort've player which will fold 88 to your flop push if you missed. But the always defends blinds read makes this the go and go the best way to get value, and thus best even if it doesn't work as a semibluff that often.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Barry, unless your talking true BB's, effec stacks are 30 BB's here.

I think especially vs a guy you've been fighting with a go and go is appropriate here since he just might do something stupid pre and call/shove on you too wide.

Make it 46k pre and shove the flop unless you get a dream flop of like A22 or what not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about true BBs. It's more effective to analyze this situation, right?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:14 AM

the go and go advice is well taken and in hindsight i agree with that being the best line. BUT.....[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I took a different line and just called. Pot ~29.5K.

Flop: 367r, I had AK spades and there was one spade.

Hero checks. Villain thinks and bets 13K.

Hero?

I think the best play at this point is to fold. The reason being that I only called pre for the specific purpose of keeping the pot small. Now I am OOP with overs facing a suspicious cbet.

Although, an argument for calling is that I could very well have the best hand at this point (with an overpair 88-QQ or even a piece of the board, I would expect villain to bet more) and villain is giving me better than 3:1 to hit what is probably a clean 6 outter.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:30 AM

Smooth call here.

If a spade hits on the turn, check/raise all in. If an A/K comes on the turn, the same.

I like call > CRAI on the flop because hands that are WB will have a tough time double barreling given the stack sizes and the nature of this board and hands that are ahead almost always call (it's going to be hard taking 88+ off). And your too deep to be taking such a risk given this flop.
I dunno.

Barry
Old 10-17-2007, 11:45 AM

You say your opponent is a solid hand reader.

What does he put YOU on when you check that flop?

Why is he giving you 3-1 on a docile board?

For those saying smooth call the flop bet, what is
your plan when a non-spade/K/A comes, check-fold?

-ZEN
Old 10-17-2007, 12:11 PM

i think he makes a smallish bet for one of two reasons: 1. he has a monster and is hoping, given the good odds hes offered, ill invest more money or 2. he has whiffed also and is putting out a cbet on this board in hopes that it did not hit me either.

as mentioned i had villain as very thinking. up to this hand, i had actually played very tight for the biggest stack at the table. thus for me to flat call his 3x raise from the BB (given hes the 2nd bigest stack at table) i think he would put me on 77-TT, KQ, AQ+ and maybe a slowplayed AA or KK.

given the board and his bet size the only monster i could put him on would be AA or KK or maybe a set of 66 or 77. AA and KK are obviously less likely given my AKs and 66 and 77, given the MP raise seem unlikely. in light of the bet size then we are left, IMO, with a very likely whiffed cbet.

you ask what i would do with a turned non-spade A or K, well i think i would clearly look to c/r all in and gain value from his worse As and other whiffed hands that he attempted to rep with the A. for me, that is the easy part.

my question is given my flop spot, should i just give up, retain my healthy stack and look for easier spots than this with the other big stack?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:36 PM

BTW, i called the flop bet.

Turn was a, you guessed it!, non-spade A. villain bets 23Kish, i c/r all in, leaving villain ~70K behind to decide what to do with. At this point, I think I am way ahead of villains range of hands, some calling some not.