Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 12:56 PM

Default Weird fish overbet on river

Villain is 45/22/2.3 after 85 hands.

Is this an easy fold? So many draws DIDN'T get there - I'm just so tempted to call - especially given I've checked the Turn and River.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $216.65
UTG+1: $200
CO: $190.35
Button: $259.65
SB: $213.85
BB: $176.77

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $8</font>, 2 folds, Button calls, 2 folds.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($19, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $16</font>, Button calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($51, 2 players)
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($51, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $88</font>, Hero ?
Old 10-16-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Weird fish overbet on river

Flop:
he'd raise the flop with a combo no? Also I can't see him not raising 2 pair on this flop or a set; he could have King, floating with one pair, or a draw.

Turn:
Turn is kind of fishy to me- 78, you check if you had a King you'd bet/fold the turn, and I don't think you'd try to stack a donk with so many draws out there so his check behind is either a weak King, a float turned into a pair + draw (ie. 87,97,8T,9T) or a flush draw (???). If he was floating with no draw I think he'd fire the turn and take down the pot. He either has 78, a pair + a draw that was made on the turn, or a weak K.

River: you show weakness again and he overbets; your hand looks weak and realistically the only hand in your range that he doesn't have FE against is 78; however if your image is good he has to know that you might be trying to induce a bluff with a hand with some showdown value (why wouldn't you just bet the river if you had a hand with no showdown value?); that said given his stats I think he is over betting his entire range 87,97,8T,9T, Kx, a whiffed flush draw.

So it seems like a call, provided you don't think he'd bet a flush draw on the turn when you checked. I personally think he would and as a result I think you should fold the river.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:25 PM

i would fold with a quickness unless you've seen this guy overbet enough to think that its just how he bluffs. i think this is a 9x or better most of the time, and a bluff not often enough to call that large of a bet.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:25 PM

I pretty much try not to call overbets, seeing as how from MY experience it always seems to be the nuts. Yeah there are a lot of missed draws, but unless you have a better read i just don't think you can call this bet. I expect him to have something like 9Ts here or some kind of 9 pretty often. Just wait for a better spot.