Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 07:58 AM

Default BB position play - need advice - bet sizing, when to check

In general, I'm having a very difficult time developing what I believe to be winning strategies from the big blind position. My current problem/confusion almost always occurs when multiple limpers enter the pot, and I do not have a strong enough hand to "punish the limpers" so am forced to check to the flop.

This is when I get my self in trouble; I'm normally playing very TAGish from other positions, so when I hit anything decent on a flop (nice draws, 2 pair, top pair) I bet right away with my usual pattern/approach: decently aggressive but not over the top and almost never min betting. In about half the hands the pot is folded to my raise; the other half I'm nearly always called with almost any bet I put out there.

I'm put in very tough situations with cards/draws/position I almost never really play. And when I have a decent hand lack the ability to show strength to induce folding so they don't get the chance to chase draws.

Now My real question is how do you generally adjust your betting size/frequency in the BB - I know its a very general question. It feels like I'm almost just suppose to check/call any reasonable bet to the river, which doesn't seem right in the long run.

Example

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($0.60)
Hero ($4.34)
UTG ($1.24)
MP ($2.78)
Button ($1.62)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.02, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.06) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.03</font>, MP calls $0.03, SB folds.

Turn: ($0.12) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.06</font>, MP calls $0.06.

River: ($0.24) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

Final Pot: $0.24

I couldn't seem find the bet and show strength to fold to flush chaser. I didn't want to size it too much higher in fear of OOP play and in-the-dark type raises.

After rereading this its really more about OOP play, but would also like to know if there were any specific techniques/play unique to the BB(with many limpers).

***Summary****
NO idea what I'm doing during OOP play unless I have a monster.