Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 09:14 PM

Default AK oop early 24K, what to do?

5 mins b/f first break in FTP 24K guar. ive been at table for two orbits and not played a hand. villain has been quiet as well.

ive got 4100 villain has me covered.

50/100 villain opens for minRaise 200. all fold to me in BB w AKo (no diamonds). I pot to 700, villain calls quick. First question, if im going to raise, should i pop to 900ish instead?

Flop 35K diamonds. i bet 1000 into 1500 pot. villain fairly quickly RR to 3200. push or fold?

Given he didnt shove and seems to raise for value/protection, i think ive got to be behind his range. is this always sets and flushes or does villain show up with pair and FD enough for me to shove?
Old 10-13-2007, 09:16 PM

Default Re: AK oop early 24K, what to do?

why do you think you are behind?...everyone seems to be seeing monsters lately...people raise c bets!!! it happens and they can do it with almost anything if they think you missed...I get it in here and feel pretty good
Old 10-13-2007, 09:24 PM

but what hands is villain playing this way? he minRs then calls a potsize raise. i lead a scary board and he repops? idk.

what do you think of PreF raise size? in hind sight it feels small seeing as im out of position.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:30 PM

bet sizing is good...the problem is by making good bet sizes you somewhat underrep your hand...I think a lot of bad players see a 1000 bet into a 1500 pot as weak...miniraises can mean such a wide range that you can discount them...with no read you can't make assumptions that people are competent...smallr reraise on flop usually means I want to steal if raiser missed but don't want to commit
Old 10-13-2007, 09:40 PM

he only minR preFlop. i was asking about my preFlop betsize RR from OOP. and his raise of my flop bet was 3x not min.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:47 PM

sorry cobra..without a converter and being a little worn i'm having some trouble...700 pre is fine...I think a better discussion would be if you missed...When (not if) I repop AK from the blinds and hit this flop I am looking for a way to get it all in and not a way to get away...

He will show up with KJ and KQ way often enough here...I'd be more concerned with a line for when I raised AK OOP and missed the flop (I would still lead out exactly the same and fold to the heavy bet)

PS for what it's worth I get coolered a lot but that's also because I don't mind getting it in when it would take a cooler (and a cooler only) to beat me
Old 10-13-2007, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5 mins b/f first break in FTP 24K guar. ive been at table for two orbits and not played a hand. villain has been quiet as well.

ive got 4100 villain has me covered.

50/100 villain opens for minRaise 200. all fold to me in BB w AKo (no diamonds). I pot to 700, villain calls quick. First question, if im going to raise, should i pop to 900ish instead?

Flop 35K diamonds. i bet 1000 into 1500 pot. villain fairly quickly RR to 3200. push or fold?

Given he didnt shove and seems to raise for value/protection, i think ive got to be behind his range. is this always sets and flushes or does villain show up with pair and FD enough for me to shove?

[/ QUOTE ]

okie, dokey, here's another flat call preflop. If you RR, you are essentially creatig a pot post flop that is half your stack. If he comes over the top, great, you have an easy decision. OTOH, if he doesn't and the flop comes out, well, without an A or K, you are [censored] out of luck.

Goodness, it beats me what your opponent has, whether to check/raise or whether to lead/call. Reads? I don't think this is an insta-fist pump call because I think it's one of those WB/a little ahead situations.

PS: You are NEVER getting UTG to fold here to your RR this deep.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:31 AM

PF is fine, if he's calling 500, he would call 700.

I shove flop, if he flopped a flush or a set. oh well... check the lobby and sign up for the double A+B.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:26 AM

thanks for the responses guys.

when im RR on the flop its def a WB/slightly ahead deal but was wondering given how invested i was whether its a quick shove, etc. villain had pretty good OPR stats, so i was just really lost as to what hes MP minRing then calling a pot raise from a blinds with.

good points all around.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the responses guys.

when im RR on the flop its def a WB/slightly ahead deal but was wondering given how invested i was whether its a quick shove, etc. villain had pretty good OPR stats, so i was just really lost as to what hes MP minRing then calling a pot raise from a blinds with.

good points all around.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your expectation when you RR this preflop at 40BB from a UTG raiser?

Barry