Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 04:44 AM

Default How to choose a tennis racket

I have been playing tennis for 3 months (a couple times a week) and all this time i have rented rackets from the tennis club.
Now i want to buy my own tennis racket. Any advice on the subject?

Thanks
Old 10-09-2007, 09:00 AM

Default Re: How to choose a tennis racket

I play squash but I guess the advice applies both ways:

1. Try before you buy. Get a bunch of rackets from the store and have a hit with each of them. If the store won't allow this then go somewhere else.

2. In general more expensive = better. Rackets aren't really that expensive so I don't think there's a reason to skimp here.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play squash but I guess the advice applies both ways:

1. Try before you buy. Get a bunch of rackets from the store and have a hit with each of them. If the store won't allow this then go somewhere else.

2. In general more expensive = better. Rackets aren't really that expensive so I don't think there's a reason to skimp here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks,
1. I heard that you can get a good feel if you try them, but i'm skeptical about the store letting you try the rackets.
2. Price is not an option, unless it's $400+.

I found several links on google about the different facts to consider when purchasing a tennis racket. Just type "choosing a tennis racket" and you can start from there
Old 10-09-2007, 09:48 AM

Tennis rackets are relatively cheap, at least compared to how much you might spend for gear in other sports. There are plenty of choices for very solid rackets under $200.

Most stores will let you demo a racket for about $5, with the understanding that the fee will come off the final price. So just try out a bunch of rackets from the same store.

Don't overthink the topic. After a short while, you won't even notice that you have a new racket.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:22 AM

look at raquet reviews and understand what type of swing and level of player you are.

try to match those ideas up and it will narrow your focus a bunch and not steer you off onto the wrong path.

if you are a 4.0 baseliner with a long slow swing you def. do not want a raquet that is made for a 5.5 serve and volley player with compact strokes, etc. etc.
i found this to be super helpful.

if in doubt stick to the big brands. prince and wilson both have something for nearly everyone. then just go with what feels good when you demo it.
btw, yes you can tell from that.

later. J.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't overthink the topic. After a short while, you won't even notice that you have a new racket.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is probably true, happens with every new thing someone buys, but i'm not planning on changing rackets every month either. For me now it's more like i try not to choose a bad racket, rather than finding "the best" that suits me, and i also get to learn more about this by doing the research.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
look at raquet reviews and understand what type of swing and level of player you are.

try to match those ideas up and it will narrow your focus a bunch and not steer you off onto the wrong path.

if you are a 4.0 baseliner with a long slow swing you def. do not want a raquet that is made for a 5.5 serve and volley player with compact strokes, etc. etc.
i found this to be super helpful.

if in doubt stick to the big brands. prince and wilson both have something for nearly everyone. then just go with what feels good when you demo it.
btw, yes you can tell from that.

later. J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info.
But how can i find out what type of swing and level of player i am?
I started to play 3 months ago. Have played around 50 hours with friends and i recently started to take tennis lessons. So i don't know myself yet. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2007, 02:01 PM

Inspiron,

If I understood you, you are basically a beginner. So it really is too early to tell what kind of game you are going to have. Besides, many tennis players I know buy new rackets every couple of years anyway.

In any event, you really don't need to worry about getting a bad racket. Just make sure you find one with the proper grip size.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:11 PM

Thanks Wynton. That's a start. I googled and now i KNOW how to choose the right grip size. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Wynton. That's a start. I googled and now i KNOW how to choose the right grip size. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I havent played since I played on my high school team, but I want to reiterate the try before you buy. Any decent store will let you do this. Even if you dont know your game that well yet, you will still find that some rackets will just feel more comfortable in your hand during your session. I bought my first racket not very long after I started taking lessons and the racket I ended up with stayed with me through my high school years.