Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 02:34 PM

Default My video! Plz help!

So I've made a video of 30mins of me playing .5/.10 NL.

But my video isn't instructional, it's a record of how I play because I lose and don't know why. I'm hoping some of you guys can watch and critique. It would be an enormous help.

My NL Adventure

Watch 'n' teach!
Old 10-09-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: My video! Plz help!

I'll bite, I always tell people to make a video but I'm yet to watch a single one posted here (except Traz's but his was instructional). I'll watch it on part of my screen & tell you if I see anything majorly wrong.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll bite, I always tell people to make a video but I'm yet to watch a single one posted here (except Traz's but his was instructional). I'll watch it on part of my screen & tell you if I see anything majorly wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh there's gotta be tons of things majorly wrong. Ijust don't know what yet.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:42 PM

I will try to have a look at it now
Old 10-09-2007, 03:58 PM

downloading now, thank god it's not 5000mb
Old 10-09-2007, 04:32 PM

Right off the bat I think you're giving your opponents too much credit. Just from the first couple of hands I can tell that craze guy was pretty loose/bad. I would have bet the trip kings on the turn even when the flush hit, and I would have instashoved those aces after he raised me.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Right off the bat I think you're giving your opponents too much credit. Just from the first couple of hands I can tell that craze guy was pretty loose/bad. I would have bet the trip kings on the turn even when the flush hit, and I would have instashoved those aces after he raised me.

[/ QUOTE ]

So in what situation do I get worried with trips vs. the flush?

I mean, he made a tiny bet, but then 3-bet me. I worried it was the equivalent of a check-raise, which indicates big strength, which is really scary on a board that just flushed. Especially since my trips only had a 6 kicker. I just don't know how my thought process should go to get to a bet, because THAT'S the thought process that made me fold.

Do you only say this because of his stats? What plays did he make that should have clued me in, if any?
Old 10-09-2007, 04:41 PM

Trip kings - Bet out turn. He has the flush here rarely, if he does, he'll let you know by raising, and since you have a read on him that he's a passive fish, betting here is good. Don't be afraid of 3 suited boards, he doesn't have the flush here a lot, I'd be more worried 'bout the K when he raised, but it's also really rare for him to have the case king. Don't like your CR, you said yourself you are afraid of the flush, and I'd be afraid of the king, and he's not going to call your CR here with anything you have beat. Fundamental concept: We bet/raise to get a) better hand to fold, b) worse hand to call. Neither is possible here, so no reason to CR.

However, I wouldn't fold to the min3bet. We got 10 outs to boat up & stack him.

AA - ZOMG, why would you put him on KQ? KQ is in his range but so are a million other things. Just 3bet him. With a fistpump! You want to charge him for drawing. Valuebet river. K obviously didn't help him, or he woulda bet the turn. Make it like 3rd-half pot on river. Call raise. 2K on board = more unlikely that he has one! Biggest mistake was not 3betting flop though.

PS: Why do you think you are bound to win it 1/4 times? It's AA! You might win it 4/5 times if you get it all in every single time preflop. Which is never gonna happen because noone is gonna push 53 preflop. My AA win % is like 93%. You have AA, it's an awesome hand, get out of this "AA never wins" mentality and bet bet bet bet. The reason you WOULD lose with it a lot is if you take the passive line you took and let him catch up. You should be extremely happy to get it all in on KQx flop with AA.

QJ - if you are unsure of your game (as you are), don't call OOP. Good fold. Calling here isn't bad, with many people in pot, but in your situation, I think folding is good.

Unsuited SCs comments - Don't do it. Don't call unsuited connectors on button. If there's like 3 limpers, I do it quite often, but if yer still working on fundamentals & becoming a winning player, this is not a +EV move for you.

88 - no no no, don't do it. I don't remember who talks about it in their well post, might be bruiser or cts or someone, but they describe this exact situation. You call 3bet for setvalue with 88, flop comes 7 high, he bets, you decide you are going to punish him for his AK and push and get stacked. If you are playing for set value, that's it. Play for set value. I don't care if it's still an overpair, I sometimes play QQ strictly for set value. You can't lose if you are getting proper odds for setvalue in long run. But you can if you decide to look him up with yer pair. Calling on flop is worse than raising, because a good player isn't gonna shut down here a lot. I would 2nd barrel you here all day, and if I hit my overcard on river, I would lol at you in chat afterwards and make you tilt. At least you didn't call turn. But yeah, fold flop, you didn't hit your set, end of story.

65s - Why did you call this preflop? 65s isn't that great of a suited connector to begin with, and playing SCs OOP is hard and not profitable. Fold.

Raise AT in CO. BTN is tight, and is hardly ever calling. If he does, then be very careful postflop, but most of the time, you are going to take this down here or be in position against one of the blinds.

QJs - call preflop fine. You have to raise this flop. It's a drawy flop, you have a player to act behind you, and you need to find out if your top pair is good. Raise to 1.8. Think about it, the way you played it, you put in 60 cents on flop + 1 on turn. If you just made it $1.80 on flop, you would have put in the same amount of money, found out where you stand, and also taken it down right there on flop a lot of times. You have no reason not to think you have the best hand here, raise! Why did you put in all that money if you are going to fold on a blank river? If you thought you were ahead, what makes you think you aren't anymore? If you were drawing, you didn't have the odds, and wtf were you drawing to? Refer to paragraph I'm going to write at end of this post on aggression, later.

76o - NO! Do not call a raise with 76o. I know he's a fish, but no, our hand is not good enough for this. There's a world of difference between playing 76s and 76o. 76s can make flushes. 76o is a trash hand. I wouldn't limp this behind him, much less call his raise. K is a good turn to bluff on, since we got position. However, this guy is a passive calling station/fish, so good job on not doing it.

At 21:57, you got 76o again, in CO with 2 limpers ahead of you. This situation is 10 times better for playing this hand. I still woudln't do it, but why did you fold here and call the other time??

K8o - Good raise BVB. I'd make it .40 since that seems to be your standard raise size. He might have looked at .30 as weakness and pounced, but good fold too. Overall, standard, don't sweat being pushed off here.

A5s - Meh, I fold PF. Calling isn't too bad, but I thikn folding is better. They aren't that fishy.

T3s - Eh... I feel hypocritical telling you to not try & steal with this preflop vrs these 2 tight players in blinds, since I personally open any two cards there, but, I just don't think your fundamentals are solid enough yet where you can venture out to plays like these. Cbet standard, nh.

A5s standard.

K, nice video. Here are my overall thoughts:

You aren't aggro enough. You have MUBS. Monsters Under the Bed Syndrome. I remember you posting your stats like 2 days ago, and you people, Pokey I think, saying that you are too aggro postflop. This isn't the truth from what I've seen in the video. I personally think you are too passive. You play kind of weak tight, and are a bit of a calling station. Work on this. You only play 1 table at a time, so you should have time to do this - ask yourself what you are accomplishing by calling. What are you going to do if he bets again on turn, what turn cards are you afraid of? Are there a lot of them? Would raising or folding here be a better option? Calling has it's place, but it is overvalued and most people don't realize that quite often it is the worst option out of the 3. Back to MUBS though - Don't be afraid to bet top pair. The AA and QJ hand, you had top pair/overpair, and you just called down with it. This is a mistake. Don't read too much into "Don't overvalue top pair." What people mean by this is for example if you raised that QJ hand to 1.8 and he shoved over the top, there you can fold. If you called, you would be overvaluing top pair, thinking it's still good after he displayed that much aggression. However, calling there you have no idea where you stand, and basically letting guy behind you draw cheaply, etc, as explained in hand above. With AA, you HAVE to raise this. I mean, his range is so wide, and he could catch up so easily by hitting his kicker/straight on turn, just raise!! Here's what worked wonders for me at one point: Try to be more aggro on flop. If they call/raise your raise on flop, then reevaluate and proceed very carefully. Meaning stop pushing on turn & river and consider being beat a lot. However, on flop, you gotta be aggro.

Moving on, I mean no offense by this, I'm just trying to make you into a better player, and please don't be offended if I come off harsh anywhere throughout this post, but I don't think you have your fundamentals totally down here. I mean, you seem to be playing pretty tight and that's good, but you are still making preflop mistakes in my opinion. People on this forum will flame you (or me) for playing by a hand chart. They will tell you handcharts are BS, you are missing a ton of value, that in NL everything is situational, blah blah blah, but if you are losing, try this, it worked for me: Play by a hand chart. I used to play limit, so I started out with a hand chart, meaning a chart that tells you what hands to play in what position preflop, what hands to call after people with, what hands to fold. When I switched to NL I was looking for a similar hand chart at first, and they exist on these forums. I believe BisonBison's hand chart is somewhere in the Micros or SSNL sticky. Maybe in the limit->NL forum. What worked for me, was Phil Gordon's hand chart at the book of the Little Green Book. If you have the book, just play by the "normal" 6max hand chart, PM me after you got one, and I will tell you whether or not I agree with every hand there, because some I don't. He tells you to open A7 MP for example, and I don't agree with that, but basically yeah. It will at least set you on course to learning to play postflop, by ignoring preflop. If you have a decision preflop, look at the chart, see what it tells you to do, bam, done. Eventually you will obviously diviate from this, but for building solid fundamentals preflop, outline to yourself which hands you are going to play from what position, what hands you are going to steal the blinds with on button, and stick to it for at least a month. PM me or post it in a new thread (though it would probably get locked) once you got it figured out, and see if people like what you came up with.

That's my advice for the beginning - Work on getting your preflop game down, without worrying whether you are making the correct call or open raise or not, and then try to get better post flop.

Maybe move down and add a table. This seems counterintuitive, but to be honest, I can't play under 4 tables myself. I just get so bored waiting for hands that I too start convincing myself I'm in a good spot to play garbage (like 76o) preflop.

That's my advice on video. PS: You use the same Stars theme as I do, and I watched/wrote this while 12 tabling with the video going into the spot on my screen where a table would normally go. At least 3 times, I would look at the video and be like "WTF, why isn't this tabling going?" until remembering it's a video (I'd pause every minute or so for a while).
Old 10-09-2007, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the advice, don't worry about being harsh, it's not an issue. I can't take raises on a flushed board, apparently, but I can take criticism.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:47 PM

You can see him limping UTG, calling alot of raises, I just assume that he is loose and I am less likely to give him credit for a hand.

When you C/R the turn with trips you are only getting called by a flush/better trips. I'd rather bet/fold and him call with a ten or flush draw he picked up.