Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 06:40 AM

Default Sony Vaio battery loose, easy to fix?

I seem to have screwed up my Vaio laptop. I move it around a lot while it's running and I seem to have knocked the battery out. When I turn it on, there's an error message saying it can't detect the battery and it's going to go into hibernation. Then it shuts down.

I'm pretty thick so I can't actually work out where the battery is. I tried unscrewing the one place underneath where I thought it might be, but that was the memory.

So, where's the battery? And is this like a one-second job to fix, or could I have done more serious damage? I mean, could the battery itself actually be screwed?

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2007, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Sony Vaio battery loose, easy to fix?

Okay, I found this in a review:

"One issue of note regarding the battery is the unusual amount of "battery wiggle" in our test unit. Even with the lock switch in the "locked" position the battery is loose in the back of the CR and makes an audible shaking sound as it moves inside the battery compartment. If the locking switch is set to the unlocked position the battery is so loose that you can accidentally disconnect the battery from the power connectors just by picking the notebook up and tilting it backward. This is an unacceptable design flaw because it means users can unintentionally power off the notebook while using it. The last thing you want is for your notebook to shutdown while you're in the middle of typing a term paper."
Old 10-09-2007, 08:54 AM

The battery should have a locking switch somewhere on the bottom or the sides of the laptop. If you slide it out and back in again it will usually fix the problem. If that fails you should be able to get a cheap battery from ebay.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:29 PM

Yes, thanks, that seems to have fixed it!