Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 04:36 PM

Default I suck at these spots 3bet pot - Tens as overpair

Villain is 21/17/3.4

I don't really see how raising can be good in this situation, I'm only getting called by higher overpairs. I hate to fold with an overpair but I don't really see what else I can do. Any suggestions for these spots.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 4 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BTN: $49
SB: $112.15
BB: $153.20
Hero (UTG): $49.25

Pre-Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG)
BB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="red">BTN folds</font>, SB raises to $6.50, Hero calls $4.50

Flop: ($13.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $9</font>, Hero?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Re: I suck at these spots 3bet pot - Tens as overpair

Sorry converter screwed up.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:56 PM

How does Villain view you (i.e., what are your table stats)? How many hands do you have on villain and are they all 4-handed?

In regards to the play I think that we need to look at a few things:

1. How often he 3-Bets Preflop
2. How often he cbets.
3. How often he two barrels.

If he hasn't 3-bet pf much then we can give him credit for a stronger hand - the trick is that in a 4-handed game his requirements for 3-betting should loosen up dependent upon his image of you.

Given his stats I am sure he cbets quite a bit, but if his cbturn is low (which it often is at 50NL) then I think a call here can be ok. The real problem with not raising though is that there is a good chance you are going to see an overcard to your TT (16 of the remaining 47 cards are overcards to our TT - granted if we see one of 16 he doesn't have one, but we have no way of knowing that). I think someone smarter than me needs to guide you here, because I tend to donk off mad duckets with the raise rather than call decision in an attempt to avoid a tough decision later.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:12 PM

you can definitely raise here - actually you could raise PF or post

SB range - dependant upon your stealing habits from him - is generally ATs+

there are many more combinations of Ax he will have than there are combinations of pairs JJ+

Another line is to just float and re-eval the turn. He might be inclind to shut down his 2 overcards if called
Old 10-04-2007, 05:22 PM

Man I'm a donkey. I knew this was 4-handed, but for some reason my brain was not putting together that UTG and CO are the same spot here.

So based upon that, we need to evaluate how hard SB protects his blinds. Unless he just doesn't do it then I really think we needed to re-raise preflop and we should be prepared to raise/shove here.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't really see how raising can be good in this situation, I'm only getting called by higher overpairs. I hate to fold with an overpair but I don't really see what else I can do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you can't RAISE. FOLDING is bad against any reasonable range. What other option is there?

Old 10-04-2007, 05:27 PM

my suggestion is to use realtimeHUD so that you have 3bet %s. it makes preflop play so much easier. you would be surprised just how much that number varies from reg to reg.

as the hand was played, i just call the flop bet, since you're in position. even real agressive players aren't going to double barrel there a lot with missed overs, because a lot of times they're just getting strung along by a big hand or called by a hand like you've got anyway.