Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 01:51 AM

Default Racial Identity and Perception

Hi guys, long time lurker but this is my first time posting here. My university requires every student to take some course pertaining to Multiculturalism. The class I decided to take focuses on how MC interacts with a democratic system, more specifically the United States. For a group project, we must choose one issue we feel is relevant (very broad, anything can be chosen if you effectively connect to MC and/or Democracy).

The topic we chose was how racial/ethnic identity impacts ones perception of a racially charged issue. The examples used will be the Duke Lacrosse scandal and either the Don Imus scandal or the ongoing Michael Vick saga. I was just wondering your thoughts about how strong a correlation between racial identity and perception of issues surrounding race are, or if you even feel if that link exists. Also, if there is any academic work surrounding the sociological/psychological explanations that could help me, that would be greatly appreciated.

Mods...if this is in the wrong place, feel free to freeze it or move it. I just thought this was the most fitting place.

ty
Old 10-04-2007, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Racial Identity and Perception

tttt
Old 10-04-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys, long time lurker but this is my first time posting here. My university requires every student to take some course pertaining to Multiculturalism. The class I decided to take focuses on how MC interacts with a democratic system, more specifically the United States. For a group project, we must choose one issue we feel is relevant (very broad, anything can be chosen if you effectively connect to MC and/or Democracy).

The topic we chose was how racial/ethnic identity impacts ones perception of a racially charged issue. The examples used will be the Duke Lacrosse scandal and either the Don Imus scandal or the ongoing Michael Vick saga. I was just wondering your thoughts about how strong a correlation between racial identity and perception of issues surrounding race are, or if you even feel if that link exists. Also, if there is any academic work surrounding the sociological/psychological explanations that could help me, that would be greatly appreciated.

Mods...if this is in the wrong place, feel free to freeze it or move it. I just thought this was the most fitting place.

ty

[/ QUOTE ]

OJ baby! Much data. Easy research.

I'm really sorry your university requires study of a clearly fruad filled subject.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys, long time lurker but this is my first time posting here. My university requires every student to take some course pertaining to Multiculturalism.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no 'black culture', anymore than there is a 'redhead culture'.

luckyme
Old 10-04-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys, long time lurker but this is my first time posting here. My university requires every student to take some course pertaining to Multiculturalism.

[/ QUOTE ]

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting non sequitur.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting non sequitur.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
...... requires every student to take some course pertaining to Multiculturalism....... The examples used will be the Duke Lacrosse scandal and either the Don Imus scandal or the ongoing Michael Vick saga. I was just wondering your thoughts about how strong a correlation between racial identity and perception of issues surrounding race are

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm likely misunderstanding the OP. I was reading it as a study of multiCULTURALISM and then using RACE as a grouping for a CULTURE. They are not congruent. It would be a like studying multiculturalism by grouping people by other physical features such as eye color, height or hair color.

What did I miss?

luckyme
Old 10-04-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So why do only black fraternities step dance?

[ QUOTE ]
I was reading it as a study of multiCULTURALISM and then using RACE as a grouping for a CULTURE. They are not congruent. It would be a like studying multiculturalism by grouping people by other physical features such as eye color, height or hair color.

What did I miss?

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed the fact that eye color, earlobe shape, etc. simply have not been used to group people. But skin shade has, and there's a significant correlation between skin color and a variety of cultural traits. Yes, color is as arbitrary as tongue length, but color has been given real significance because people load it with meaning. True, there is no neat congruence with culture.

And somebody did group by hair color -- to the British, red meant Irish scum.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I was reading it as a study of multiCULTURALISM and then using RACE as a grouping for a CULTURE. They are not congruent. It would be a like studying multiculturalism by grouping people by other physical features such as eye color, height or hair color.

What did I miss?

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed the fact that eye color, earlobe shape, etc. simply have not been used to group people. But skin shade has, and there's a significant correlation between skin color and a variety of cultural traits. Yes, color is as arbitrary as tongue length, but color has been given real significance because people load it with meaning. True, there is no neat congruence with culture.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it hard to believe that there is a cultural connection between a black atheist computer programmer in Seattle and a black janitor fundamentalist in Atlanta.
The culture they share is some general american traditions/values and not much else. So when we're studying Black Culture, which of those people are we studying?

luckyme
Old 10-04-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it hard to believe that there is a cultural connection between a black atheist computer programmer in Seattle and a black janitor fundamentalist in Atlanta.

[/ QUOTE ]

If culture is shared experience, then one thing they have in common is not being able to get a cab. You could not share a cab story with them. The point being that the way they are both perceived by whites gives them common ground.

There are endless examples of "it's a black thing." Motown. Dapping, step dancing, speech patterns, music preferences, church preferences -- different hymns are being sung.

It's hard to express how deeply provincial your stance is. It's like saying there is no Shriner culture, when it's right there on their heads.

If you can't see black culture, you are averting your eyes for some reason.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

What did I miss?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The culture they share is some general american traditions/values and not much else. So when we're studying Black Culture, which of those people are we studying?

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry luckyme, you're kind of wrong on this one. It's true that every black person in the United States doesn't share the same culture, but there is most definitely African-American culture that is shared between those of us who are descended from slaves. There is food, music, poetry, religion, and the shared experience of being black in the United States. You have to realize that African Americans were largely excluded from the mainstream for a very long time and developed a different culture from the overarching "American" culture (although they did contribute to the larger culture).

Your example of the atheist computer programmer and the janitor fundamentalist doesn't really prove much. Often there is more diversity within a culture than between cultures. But just because two people from the same group do not share the exact same cultural norms doesn't mean that there aren't predominant themes prevalent in the group as a whole.