Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Bet, bet in small pot with K5s

Villin is 25.7/57/2.5 after 35 hands, but som of them must be old cause he has only played 15 hands or so. Raised AQ from CO bet all the way with TP. One succesful steal. Limped A3s, called 3 bet pf and one bet on the flop 655, one of his suit.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (2.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (4.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB
Old 10-02-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Bet, bet in small pot with K5s

Heads up I think this is fine. MP2 could have a flush draw, straight draw, or any number of other hands here. I like inducing the bluff on the river. nh.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:38 PM

Without the flush draw I'd think he was betting for value, but he could bluff the missed flush here as his only way to take down the pot. If you're calling the river I think I prefer a b/f here, costs you the same but nets you an extra bet some of the time. Virtually no chance of getting raised by something you beat.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:45 PM

c/c the river is &gt; b/f. You need to give him a chance to bluff missed straight or flush draws. If he's ahead anyway it will cost you the same as b/f, but if he has air you make an extra bet when he bluffs. He's almost never going to call on the river with a hand you beat.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:53 AM

(I guess villain's preflop raise % must be 5.7% - not 57)

Ahem, I do think river is good - villain is relatively aggressive so he might bluff a busted draw here. We wouldn't mind river going check-check much either.

However, as the river card is a total blank Hero's weakish river play might seem suspicious to a thinking villain and lead him into betting with hands he'd not have called a bet with (maybe 66-88, weak 9). This offsets the "bluff inducing" value of the c/c line, albeit only slightly.

Moreover,as the pot is not giving much odds to draw on the turn the villain might hold a better pair than us - yet, the villain seemed to be willing to chase without proper odds in the A3s hand also so we can't rule out a FD/OESD or another draw here. In this light I might sometimes even c/f the turn in such a small pot if the board were a bit less drawy on flop. The fact that we can fold to a turn raise without blinking favors betting though.

Nevertheless, (thin) c/c is the best river line IMO and the hand is played fine.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:48 AM

Very standard.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:30 AM

a line i've been taking in situations like these(HU OOP w/a weak pair) is bet the flop and c/c the turn and river.

alot of the value of a hand like that is going to come from worse pairs/draws calling or bluffs. give a seemingly aggressive opponent the chance to spew a couple big bets. he's betting any good draw anyway(if we check to him). also, given the pot size it's true he can make incorrect calls, but making an incorrect bet is just as good and we don't get bluff/semibluffraised out. this is especially true since the ace is out and only Khigh *might* call down and that's tougher/rarer than calling down w/ Ahigh.

if i bet the turn, c/c on the river is 100% the play. nh.