Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 11:59 PM

Default AK issues

so I've been playing cash games for a little over a week. Most of the big pots I have lost have been with AK. And I've won tons of small pots with it as well. This is just one example of carnage.... Preflop is standard. After he calls on the flop do you just pack it in, try and see the river for free?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
7 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $140.75
UTG+1: $114.05
MP1: $100000
CO: $98.50
Button: $99.50
SB: $100.50
Hero: $100

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $3.5</font>, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $15</font>, CO folds, Button calls.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($34, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $25</font>, Button calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($84, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero shoves? checks?

I feel like if we have what we're repping here we would never be checking the turn... so how do you know when to slow down?
Old 10-04-2007, 12:06 AM

Default Re: AK issues

If its a station, SLOW THE HELL DOWN! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

He could be calling you with 88-99. I see JJ raising the flop here more often than not. I don't see shoving the turn as being +EV by more than 55/45 in equity.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:39 AM

why not call here being OOP because you have stated that you are strong, but his call in position is strong as well. You limit the size of the pot with a call or atleast a smallish reraise. This is a bad flop here. I would say C-bet $12-$15 and see what villain does.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:15 AM

Preflop is standard, flop is OK versus most villains, but he's rarely calling the flop to fold on such a bricky turn. I mean, mayyyyyybe JJ will fold but people just never ever fold overpairs in 3bet pots.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:40 AM

MP1 looks to be playing well - I'd stay out of pots with him.

Preflop is very standard. If both players are quite loose preflop and like to float/peel/steal on the flop, it's not bad in that spot to just call preflop. 3betting is definitely the default play here, though.

Not a great flop for you. Villains love to put us on AK, so he's very likely to peel with a hand like 88 here. This is a villain dependant kind of spot, sometimes a check here is alright. Default play is to just cbet here and be done with the hand if called (unless you improve obv).